Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hummingbird 798si ci questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hummingbird 798si ci questions

First day out with my first fish finder, 798si ci hummingbird. Have many ? to ask. 1) When u locate and mark stake beds at a distance from the boat, will the waypoint put u on top of the bed? 2) It didn't seem to do very well is water less than 5'. Should it show stucture below your boat? 3)Most of the time I will be trolling at a very low speed. Does that effect the use? 4) I thought I had Down Image? Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Si is dead nuts on where you put the cursor. If you are not seeing objects where you know they are, check your sensitivity. Check with HB service dept on the down imaging . If it is available for that unit it can be loaded. Good luck. Go to electronics page , you will find Joby at huminbird. He has all the answers for you.

Post Thanks / Like

shakey, ..... 1. fh got it right. you'll find some folks that will mark a bed or top twice to sort of 'triangulate' the spot due to the "within 9' area" that you mark. but yes... when you move your curser to the left or right of the boat, the gps coord is on the spot that you marked whether it's 5ft or 100ft from the side of the boat.
    2. the reason you may not see as much out to the side of the boat in shallow water is due to the 'cone' of sound it's sending out. the deeper the water, the wider the imager can read. i think there's a new update that's supposed to help. you might check your sensitivity and scroll speed in shallow water as well. slower scroll will give you better pics. 3. kinda answered in #2. they're made to get their best images at 3-6mph. i too troll anywhere from .5-1mph and you might play with the scroll speed and slow it down a little. you might see a blurred image at the slower speed. thats what i see on mine. i havent used it much while trolling (use my front 2d model when trolling) but i have ran back to it and marked a couple of tops here and there when ive ran over one i want to mark. 4. fh got it right. u can download the di firmware from humminbird website. down imaging is crazy cool!!!!!!!!!! make sure you follow the instructions related too restoring the factory defaults when updating your unit. fyi........keep an eye out for little doughnuts when in shallow water.......... i've busted bream beds i never had any ideas were in areas where i found them. enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

oooohhh one more thing...........when you see an object under the boat...... it will split the object image on the screen. you'll see it on both sides of the 'water column' or black area on the imager.

Post Thanks / Like

Those two lines actually join. The column of water is just that , a fine line under the boat. If you could fold that page the two edges would connect,