Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Braid with a slip cork

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braid with a slip cork

Hello,
    I want to start using braid for my crappie and bream fishing but am having trouble with the bobber stopper slipping up the line. The braid is so slick it will not stay in place. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Tie a "slip" knot in it ! !
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might try using dental floss for your stop knot. Here is how to tie it.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...beginners.html
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself some of these. You won't have this problem any more. Bass Pro Shops Sinker Stops
    Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62 View Post
    Get yourself some of these. You won't have this problem any more. Bass Pro Shops Sinker Stops
    Thumbs Up
    I have those works fine with 10/2 PowerPro.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a little trouble with the rubber stops slipping. I use the string stops and pull tight with pliers.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

These are the ones I've had the most success with : Bobber Stops as they are the only ones I've used that don't slip on mono. They do have downsides, though ... the holes are quite small & hard to put line thru, they will deteriorate & eventually break, and they don't work well with small guides. But then, neither do the rubber ones. And the rubber ones are also more prone to having the line cut thru them (during use), as well as not always being "intact" on the wire loop (prior to purchase - they're often already cut partially open by the wire loop they're on).

I've also used these : Cabela's Dogbone Bobber Stops, Floats & Stops, Terminal Tackle, Fishing : Cabelas.com ... but they also have the same downsides as the BPS ones.

This is just "my" experiences with these types of bobber stops ... and, understand that I've not used any of them with braid. I use my braid for cast/retrieve method, only.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

They all have pros and cons, but here some other things to consider in addition to the other posters comments.

I prefer the rubber stops. Not sure how the dog bones work with braid, but they seem to add twist and kinks to my mono after sliding them up and down the line while adjusting depth. The spring types do this as well, and are prone to breaking; more than dog bones or rubber stops in my experience. Using dental floss and a stop knot works well, but the added resistance of the string in the water interferes with the line "slipping" through the bobber when using lighter weight.
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

Post Thanks / Like

I use a slip rig for bass quite a bit and found that the only line that flows through a bobber efficiently is Fireline. I use 10# test with the float and bobber stop on the main line. I tie this to a tiny swivel and attach a leader of fluorocarbon. Have never had an issue doing this. The Fireline flows through the bobber with almost no resistance and standard string-type bobber stops hold effectively.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the "dogbone" type that pappy suggested but I wrap the fireline around the dogbone twice instead of just once....

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor