Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Flatlining?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Flatlining?

If you were trolling a 1/16 oz jig in about 10ft of water, would you add a split shot to keep the jig down or just adjust your speed accordingly?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

You can adjust speed and the amount of line you have out to control depth. With about 60-70 feet of line out at 1.2 mph, my baits run 4-5 feet deep depending in if they are tubes or curly tails.

If you want to keep the jig near the bottom, I would switch to titelining and use 1/2 to 3/4 ounce in line weight to keep the jig down and still be able to troll at about 1 mph.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Lately what I have been doing on my tightlining is take a 1/4 oz barrel sinker, run a doubled rubber band thru it and run my line thru also and tie my jig below it. You can then slide the weight up and down you line to have any length "leader" for your jig. If the lead is too loose twist the rubber band with the line in it and it will tighten up on your line, I leave about a 1/4" of rubber out each end. If you are only running 1 jig when moving or finished you just run the lead down on your jig and don't have any loose ends. If the rubber gets old or whatever all you have to do to replace it is run a loop of mono thru the hole and pull a bew one. Works for me as a rig to keep it near the bottom, plus it's pretty cheap too.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

IBNFSHN,

When I flat line, I start out fishing 1/16 and 1/32 ounce tube jigs. cast about 30' and slow down until my jig starts to hit bottom. I then speed up just a tick. I target 9' depth. once my jig is hits bottom and I've sped up a little, I'll throw out a couple 1/32 jigs. They'll go down to 6' at this speed. 1/8 will go to 12'. If I want to fish in between I'll reel in a jig a crank or two or let out a little line. I also use sliders but they ride a little higher (more resistance). My base depths are 6 and 9'. Just the easiest way I do it. helps to have a variable speed trolling motor. Hope this helps. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CF. I'll have to try that. I've always put a bunch of poles out with bobbers, jigs and minnow. I usually do ok that way but there have been times when I've seen people catch a lot more fish flat lining. I'm going to give it a try when I go to the lake the 26th. Does that work in the local rivers for you?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, It does. I found that it works in the summer which around here is amazing. You still have to find areas where they are but when you can cover alot of water it sure helps. have trolled the length of pembroke creek and back in 3 hours. caught 10 keeper crappie. late August. Hope this helps. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion