Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Share a Funny Fishing Story!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Share a Funny Fishing Story!!

Just thinking about my grandpa today and all the great times and adventures I had with him. Got me to thinking about some of the funny stuff that happen over the years and thought I'd share and if you want to you can share one too.

Years ago we were fishing together in a 12 foot aluminum boat on a lake with a lot of cypress trees. We were easing in between trees and jigging for crappie, bluegill, redears, etc. We already had about 20-25 keepers in the ice chest but they were coming sporadically. They stopped biting for some reason and we went about 30 minutes without another fish, so we decided to try some shiners we brought with us.

I was at the front of the boat and he told me to ease up to a clump of trees and grab a limb and tie us up. Well, I did ease up to the group of trees and I reached up to grab the first limb I could get and I saw a huge wasp nest with a lot of big angry looking red wasps on it. I panicked for a second because the boat was kind of moving straight for the tree and the limb and I grabbed the trolling motor and clicked it into high reverse and hit the power.

My grandpa didn't see the wasp nest so he didn't understand what was going on and as I hit the power on the trolling motor I jumped down out the boat seat onto the floor so my head didn't hit the limb. He started to gripe about what the heck was I doing and his back end of the boat was swinging around real fast because I had the motor on full reverse and it twisted at an angle as I had jumped out the seat onto the floor.

Well, I hollered wasp nest but at the same time he hollered snake!! The back end of the boat was going to slam into another tree and there was a snake sitting as pretty as you please on an overhanging limb, but I didn't see the snake from my end and he didn't see the wasp nest that was causing me to freak out. As I realized what he was saying the back end slammed into the tree and yep Mr. Snake dropped into the boat and I don't really remember all the details after that because somehow my 70 year old grandpa moved from the back of the boat to the front in about a new york second. He was shouting at me to grab a boat paddle but I grabbed the fishing net which was the first thing I saw.

The snake was twisting around and headed towards us so i threw the net on top of him and my grandpa threw a life jacket on top of that and then BAM, the boat slammed into the other tree with the wasps. I hadn't turned off the trolling motor as it was on full in reverse and the boat made a sort of a circle. Needless to say the wasps popped me twice, once the back of my head and one on my earlobe, grandpa got stung on the shoulder.

He got the boat paddle and shoved the snake up and over the side of the boat and I sat up on my knees and spun the trolling motor towards open water while swatting and ducking at angry wasps.

He was still razzled and a bit ticked off when we got back to the boat ramp so we gave the fish away to a guy fishing from the bank. My grandpa seemed to blame me for fudging up in a simple task of tying to a tree limb and operating a trolling motor, but we were laughing about it by the time we got home and he couldn't wait to tell it to everyone he could call that night. Oh and my earlobe swelled up to the size of a baseball, it was ugly.

Over the years he told that story at least twice a year at family gatherings and everyone laughed each time he described it. I think though that the more he told that story the bigger that snake got and the number of wasp stings grew :D

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good story. My brother and I fished and roomed together for a while. For one reason or another, 7 trips in a row, he wound up in the water. I still pick on him about it, 35 years later.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

While fly fishing just before dark for white bass last spring my buddy Mark was making a cast and as he came forward with the fly something smacked him in the back of the neck and stared making a high pitched sound as it dug its claws into his neck. He started yelling and going nuts. After a second or two to collect himself he reached back and discovered he had snagged a bat as he came forward with his cast and it launched it into the back of his neck. The fly was stuck in its wing and every time he tried to get it out the bat would bite at him. He cut his line and drove to the hospital for a shot. Everytime I think of that story and how surprised he was I laugh till I cry and so does he.
    Fish like your hungry!