Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hair jig...bucktail tying ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hair jig...bucktail tying ???

Can someone give me a few pointers about tying hair jigs. Just some basic stuff to get started. Want to give it a try and see how they turn out but have never done it before and have heard that they work real good. Just got a mold and other equiptment and am looking for tips on applying the hair. Thanks for any help. Billy

Post Thanks / Like

The easiest thing to do is order a fly tying kit from bass pro. You can use ordinary sewing thread and super glue. That is what I used when I first started tying. I still do sometimes. The internet is full of tying techniques. Just put fly tying in the search and you'll see what I mean. I never tried to copy anything, I just started tying and figured things out for myself. Of course I didn't have the internet or a source to learn from, but the techniques I developed, I still use today. I even taught myself the whip tying technique and didn't know it til years later. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is just jump in and get started with what you've got. Figuring it out is half the fun and like I said if you decide to, get the kit from Bass Pro.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro has a starter jig tying kit with a video for about $30 that will get you started. It's pretty hard to tell somebody without showing them. Try http://www.jannsnetcraft.com for supplies and instructions
    - Roberta.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Billy,
    Try this site. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Billy

Post Thanks / Like

put the hook in the vice, eye down. start wrappin thread on jig collar, 5-6 wraps.cut 2' bucktail off and hold on jig collar . make 4-5 wraps over hair. use thumb and index finger nails to spread hair evenly around collar. wrap thread over hair 15-20 wraps. ty off with couple half-hitches. glue. fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Tying Tips

hi billy, bucktails are a lot of fun to tie and they also are very effective on crappie. here are some tips. first, when selecting bucktails at your local store(dont order them, you need to have them in hand) look for a tail that has long straight and fine or small diameter hair. stay away from thick hair as they tend to be hollow and will flare when tying. most of the hair good for bucktail jigs is going to be towards the the tip or point of the tail. on a good bucktail you may be able to work down to the bottom third of tail and still have good hair but the best and longest is at the tip. second, dont tie in too much hair at one time. if im tying a solid color jig such as all white, ill tie in one small bunch on top of the hook shank(hook point down) then flip hook shank up, tie in another small bunch, then add flash followed by another small bunch of hair. third, stay away from heavy rod building thread. alot of people use it but i wouldnt reccomend it. it bulks up too fast. i use a size 3/0(equivalent to 140 denier) red flat waxed nylon thread. this thread is plenty strong enough and being flat it makes a nice flat thread wrap with no grooves. fourth, for crappie i use mainly 1/32, 1/64oz jigs. jigs with collars and three different hook finishes, red,gold and bronzed. cut the point(used to hold plastic baits) off the collar and smooth the collar with pliers. tie your thread in right at the base of the jig head and try to keep your thead band to a maximum of 1/8". fifth, for finishing techniques i use zap a gap(super glue) on the thread wraps first. this bonds the hair to the thread and the jig collar. then paint your eyes on. i use white with a small black dot over that, let dry. after paint and glue has dried i use a very durable clear coat call loon hard head. put this on the thread wraps and over the eyes for a nice gloss finish. with the combination of powder coat jig head paint and loon hard head youll have a jig paint that wont chip. for flash material, flashabou mirage works great and you cant go wrong with krystal flash. sixth, i tie many different color combos, but here are some of my favorites. all chartreuse, all white, all black, black over white, red over white, brown over orange, orange over yellow, black over chart. and perchie: olive over yellow over orange with black vertical barring put on with a permanent marker. hope this helps and good luck, mark

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mark and fishdoc...helps a lot. Looks like warmer weather coming soon to Va. Gonna try some of my jigs out at Buggs in a few days. Billy