Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would downriggers

Post Thanks / Like

Default would downriggers

be of any use striper fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes! Find the fish on your finder and troll your bait, lure, a couple of feet above them. Your bait should be 50' behind the boat. Stripers are motor shy.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe shy but not scared I caught 2 last week letting line out the striper, hit them at 30 ft. behind the motor, but I do agree that there are useful to have for trolling

Post Thanks / Like

how deep do stripers run?

Post Thanks / Like

Generally they feed in the upper 1/3 of the water, but it depends on the bait that they have available to them if you have bait that holds near the bottom like heron they may feed down near the bottom, the old saying goes... find the bait, find the fish...They will not be far from the grocery store. I catch most around 15-18 ft

Post Thanks / Like

thanks fellas. sounds like it'd be worth hanging my old mag 10's on the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Downriggers work well for me especially in the summer when the stripes go deep because of the hot water. You can pull live bait or crankbaits with them and put the bait where the fish are. Good luck.
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Post Thanks / Like

I use them in the hot months of the summer to catch them deep on Hartwell

Post Thanks / Like

When you say deep how deep do you run them artificial or live bait? Welcome to the forum for striper fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Just run them right above where you are marking fish, you have to keep an eye on your graph.

Never use live bait in summer, troll bucktails with trailers and some times run some Cisco Kids or other lures just to mix it up.

I do use them for live bait when i am running freelines and planer boards sometimes if I do not want to fool with down rods

Most of the mid-late summer bite is in the deep water near the damn, if you see a big storm system coming GET ON THE WATER ASAP and they will almost jump in the boat, actually been out on
    big water when it was so rough almost made buddy of mine sick but we were wearing them out.

I also will use reels spooled with leadcore line as well, that way I can run 4 lines pretty easy. Heck we have even broke the outriggers out a couple of times and ran 6 lines but
    that is like a fire drill when you hit the trees

Do not hesitate to ask any questions, as much as I have fished over the years I have never done much crappie fishing but have been chasing stripers and saltwater fish for years

Pretty much a newbie to crappie other than when we use to sit on our dock at night with lights out and catch them when I was a teenager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast