Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercury 2-stroke 60 HP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mercury 2-stroke 60 HP

Ok, I need some help. Between the beers, oops, I mean beer and the Action movie I was watching, I may have overlooked the prop size for my motor. I really did look through the manual but only found how to take it off. Can anyone tell me what size, pitch or whatever else it is called that I need to replace my prop with a stainless? Mercury 2-stroke 60. Is there a website? Thanks, TF

Post Thanks / Like

Should be stamped into the prop somewhere. Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Billy, you're correct. I have a number that is stamped on the Prop, but is that I all I need to order a new one? Thanks, TF

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand, most times you would not use the same size prop when switching from aluminum to stainless. Something about the possible flexing of the blades on an aluminum prop, whereas a stainless props blades won't flex. I'd check in on a bassboat page, those fellows are usually on top of the propping engines.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Shellback may be right ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    From what I understand, most times you would not use the same size prop when switching from aluminum to stainless. Something about the possible flexing of the blades on an aluminum prop, whereas a stainless props blades won't flex. I'd check in on a bassboat page, those fellows are usually on top of the propping engines.

I can't say for sure
    ... but, when I had my 70hp 1985 Yamaha, I had an alum prop for it (came with it when I bought it used). It ran fine with it, and tached around 5100rpm WOT. I dinged it up enough to have to have it fixed. Since I had previously owned other motors with alum props, and had to have them repaired a few times ..... I decided to spring for a SS prop. I bought a cut-down Merc prop from a gentleman that did that kind of work. I don't really even know what the specs were (hence my saying "I can't say for sure"). The SS prop came with a "collar", an extra disc that was used to make the Merc prop fit the Yamaha. Worked perfectly for many, many years ... and the SS prop raised my rpm's to around 5600 @ WOT. I got a better hole shot and top end speed. Now, whether or not the "non-flex" properties of the SS prop was responsible for all that ... can't say. Whether or not the SS prop was the same pitch, blade shape, size, or whatever ... don't know that, either. But, I do know this ... I tried a "different" prop on it, once ... a "bigger" one ... and the boat wouldn't even plane, with it on there. So, yes ... you probably need to talk to a motor mechanic, and tell him what size/style/weight boat you have - and whether you want a prop for speed or power. If you liked the performance that you were getting from the alum prop, and just want to replace it with SS (for longevity), he should be able to tell you what size/style/pitch to look for. He may even have a "used" one for sale. SS props can be costly ... so you may want to hunt around for a used one, first (once you find out the specs needed). ........ luck2ya ...cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CP brought up a very important point. You need a prop that will allow the motor to run within the manufactures recommended WOT range. Under or higher, you loose power. See if this explains it better.http://boatfix.com/how/props.html
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a good web link IBNFSHN. Tex, what I would do is take the prop to a marine dealer and ask him what advatages/disadvantages stainless has over aluminum. He can also tell you what size you would need. Let us know what you find out, I may be doing the same thing soon. Good Luck. Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Action movies? When I called you, you were watching Brokeback Mountain!!!!!!!:D :D :D

By the way, you've got mail....smedley
    Last edited by smedley; 03-04-2006 at 12:30 PM.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Michigan Wheel Rapture 10-1/2 diameter x 13" pitch SS prop in new condition I'll sell for $100 plus shipping. Depending on how much your boat weighs, it mat be a good match for your motor. I took a guess at what I needed for my Mercury 50hp four stroke and was wrong. The SS prop knocked 800 to 1000 rpm off my motor's WOT. I plan to just get a spare AL prop since the options for SS props with lower pitch are rather limited.

Email me at [email protected] or PM me if you want pictures or more details.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

PanMan, I will let you know about the prop. I looked on the Merc website and that was no help. I will be out of town this week, but I am hoping to talk with a dealership soon. Thanks, TF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast