Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A new way to spincast

Post Thanks / Like

Default A new way to spincast

After reading several post from others that have problems spincasting especially with heavier weights I experimented with another way. Another complaint is that the face of the rotating spool pushes against the line and cover causing a weak spot in the line. The heavier the weight the harder you have to push the button. What I do now is pull the line back over the top of the reel and hold the line with my thumb. Use the off hand to push the button, now when you cast you just release your thumb. My accuracy improved, my distance improved and everything is easier all around. I can now cast a 1/32 oz weight 37 ft every time. Try it and let me know what you think.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

ROTO VISE DEALER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigtosser View Post
    What I do now is pull the line back over the top of the reel and hold the line with my thumb. Use the off hand to push the button, now when you cast you just release your thumb.
    This reminds me of something I read years ago. The author was using an old Johnson Century which could be mounted under the rod like a spinning reel. He would push the button with his left hand and trap the line against the rod handle with a finger from his right hand. He cast just by releasing the line under his finger.

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing if I an using a spincast reel on a spinning rod. It works great. With todays rods it is hard to do because the reel seat is too far forward and does not leave you enough room to put your hand but on the rods that have the sliding rings it works fine but you do have to get used to reeling backwards. The old Johnson's could be turned either direction so you wound the line on by reeling forward.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

ROTO VISE DEALER