Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The great UL casting test

Post Thanks / Like

Default The great UL casting test

After reading "Piscatorial Absurdities" I thought I would try a test using UL instead of ML (micro lite). In the book the author states with the proper 2# line and rod you should be able to cast a 1/64 jig 40 feet. Using red neck math I figured I should be able to cast a 1/32 jig 40 feet with 4# line. Now there my be a exponential equation that i missed, a lot like, if you have a 1 in pipe and you want to double the flow what size pipe do you use?
    I measured 40 ft from my metal garage and marked it. I started off with a 4 1/2 ft UL with a 32nd weight. I hit the target 1 time out of 50 cast. I was using a open faced reel and the biggest problem I had was the bail kept flipping closed. Next switched to a 6ft UL rod. Hit the garage 2 times with the same problem with the bail. Went to my 12ft float rod and got close but never hit it. I continually had problems with loops and line twist even tho I opened and closed the bail by hand. Next switched to a casting rod with a Rhino spincast reel on it filled with the same line as the open faced reel. The line was P Line Fluorocarbon 4 lb. The first rod was a $19.95 Bass Pro 4'10" microglass rod. It has a really slow action. I could get within 10ft of the garage every cast with no problems. I switched to one of my 41/2 ft custom rods that has the guides that wrap around the rod and the guides are on the bottom of the rod. With every cast I could get within 4 ft of the garage. The only problem I had after 50 or more cast was the line got hung on the inside of the cover on one cast. The Rhino cover is made in 2 pieces and that line got in that seam.
    Conclusion: I am switching to spincast. I will buy an SO2 and fill it with 4# and one spool with 2#. I definitely will make another custom rod for it. Other than the one snag the spincast was an absolute pleasure to use. Cast after cast with effortless ease of both casting and winding in. No tangles, loops,or excessive line twist. This may not work for everyone but then again it does not need to.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

ROTO VISE DEALER

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I have never measured my casts, but a softer (and longer) rod definitely helps on distance.

Post Thanks / Like

good interesting report good info to know
    fishing from the couch in front of the tv doesnt count

Post Thanks / Like

In this test it seems that longer only works to an extent and then starts loosing distance. I assume due to drag. But the one thing for sure is the under wrapped guides make a difference.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

ROTO VISE DEALER

Post Thanks / Like

I found a new way to cast the spincast reel and can get 37 ft almost every cast, will post a new thread on how to improve your spincasting.

ROTO VISE DEALER

Post Thanks / Like

I have several UL rods RATED for 1/64th. The new ESP rods that are rated for 1/32nd will cast the 1/64th much further than the rods rated for it. They are not cheap rods either...Shimano Compre and Browning Citori. They both have soft tips where as the ESP rods are fast and maybe would be considered very fast as there is no industry standard on that rating. Go figure. I will see just how far my casts are going with the 1/64th.....which is what I use most of the time anyway and report back if you want. I also use 2# test line.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

I cast 1/64 and 1/32 all the time using a 5 foot ultralite. I believe the 2 most important things are to have a spinning reel with a large/ and long spool (no tiny ultralite spool) and also, lines are so completely different in their castability and memory you need to try several...they make a big difference.

HHD
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct about the spool and reel size. By chance have you measure your distance with either jig and you did not give us the line weight.

ROTO VISE DEALER

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a pflueger wide bail spincast reel this winter. Last Saturday, I mounted it on a custom 7' rod I had LipRippers build for me (Okie board, Cherokee Rod Co.) He gave me some 8# braid to put on the reel as well. We went out onto Eufaula afterwards and when the wind let up later in the day, I tied on a 1/32 oz on it and was able to fling that little jig quite a long way. I was also able to feel the slightest little tick from anything that bumped the jig, rather it be stick, rock or fish, I felt it. After I got home later that night at 11, I stuck the minnow bucket in the front live well and had evidently caught the line with the lid when I opened the well door. I closed the lid, went around to pull rods out to stick into the garage and discovered I had just broken a foot off of my new rod. I've already ordered another one. With a new tip on the broken one, I figure it was meant to be to help pull out some bigger Crappie out of the thicker brush this Spring. When I first spoke with Leland about what I wanted in a rod, I told him, 7' one peice, set up for a spincast and most important, I wanted something that would be great for using light weight jigs, micro jigs. The rod he produced was a work of art and I felt like crying when I broke it. By far the best rod I've ever owned and I got to fish it once before my own carelessness killed it. I've looked and held rods like St. Croix and others that cost hundreds of dollars. I truely feel that the Cherokee Rod Leland created was every bit as good, if not better. I can't wait for the next one.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

A properly built custom rod will out perform a factory rod any day. Had to laugh at the comment about the wind. Yesterday Oklahoma almost burned off the map due to 70 mph winds and dry. That is one reason I do not fly fish here. You would only get a couple of days a year that is calm enough. I have one question, what is a wide bail spincast? A spincast reel does not have a bail. Can you give the model number of the reel? If you measure the 40 ft and cast the 1/32 jig that distance, you truly have an outfit to be envied. You may have the perfect UL set up.

ROTO VISE DEALER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast