Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shenango Lake

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shenango Lake

Was on my way to Hermitage this after noon, and looked up towards Golden Run area, and could see icefisherman out on the ice. Don't know how thick it is, but it didn't look very good near the causeway.

Post Thanks / Like

2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches of clear ice.

Post Thanks / Like

As of Saturday, there was 4.5 in most places and less out east toward the island. As of Monday, the 4.5 was still in the main area fished(straight out from ramp) with less toward the north and the shoreline was fading fast. I ventured east toward the island but retreated when i hit 1 3\4 ". That is the first ice to go normally but i thought i might get lucky. Today, Tuesday, is probably the last day of the season unless we get a miracle tonite.

Post Thanks / Like

saw about 3 dozen guys out at golden run on sunday. beagledog were they catching any when you went out? i too think that today will be iffy and the end of the season. i'm ready to get my boat out! Gary U

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was out saturday afternoon around 2 and fished till dark. The first hour my son and I did a number on the 9" to 10" fish. After 3 the bite stopped because the fish had moved on. I was watching them with my Aqua veiw. I did see some nice ones but, the smaller ones were very aggressive. By the time we left, the shore line was deteriorating pretty quick. I am also ready to get my boat out. Ice out crappies are very hungry!!!!! The pattern isn't a long one but, you can get some of your biggest crappies at this time. Good luck.:D
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff
    Keystone Crappie Association member

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Yeah stump...We did well each morning until about 11...after that, it was touch and go...sit and wait for the schools to pass by. We thought they were massive schools of crappie passing through but the aquaview proved the crappie were chasing massive schools of shad. The Ice Machine screen would light up from bottom to top and then the hits would come. As soon as the sun would get bright, the shad headed for the deeper water and the bite would slow(we were fishing 6-8 feet of water). Attempts to intercept them in the deep water were uneventful.
    I guess today will do it for the year. Its been a good year for the shenango crappie...even though they hit as well as they ever have, the number of fishable days was so low that next year should be a banner year. I personally don't keep anything under 9 inches and rarely keep a 9 incher either from this lake. It takes roughly 7-8 years to grow a 15 incher in PA so I tend to throw a ton of fish back at Shenango. We caught oodles of baby(4-5 inch) crappie as well as tons of 8's and 9's. All signs point to many more years of the best, thickest crappie fillets that PA has to offer.

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally do not keep crappie under 10". I did keep 6 that were 10 to 10.5 inches and they were nice and chunky.
    Beagle, could you post when the lake is fishable by boat? I think once the sun hits the ice and the air warms up it should melt pretty quickly.
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I'll post as soon as I hear something...can't imagine it will be long.

Post Thanks / Like

Now the trick will be to get the boat ready by saturday. Plus, get the reels re-strung, make some jigs and get them painted, organize the tackle, etc. :D
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff