Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Condos/Spawning beds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Condos/Spawning beds

Hi,

What condos/spawing beds work best for bluegill/bream?......My buddy has a farm pond and it has some nice bluegill in it...Today me and my buddy dropped two pvc/boo bucket condos into today near the dock...The farm pond has no crappie in it...Just green carp {bass}, bluegill and catfish....

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

I alwas thought bluegill preferred to spawn on shallow flats that are mostly sand. I've always seen them make the big honey comb type beds. I don't know if they spawn in/on upright structure or not.
    Hopefully someone will fill us in. I'd like to know myself.
    <--Click for Website

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Yes, bluegill will spawn in shallow flats with sandy bottoms. There nest will resemble small craters easily seen by the eye. I also fish several farm ponds with nice bluegill. When they are spawning the whole, flat looks like the MOON. When caught on the bed these fish can be very aggressive but will spook easy. You are fishing but stocking them at the same time. In other words, no bright color cloths stay as quite as possible. You will be surprised how easily they will detect you. The farther from them, the better. The male gills will move in first and build the nest, this in when they will spook easily. I always throw in the nest and when he leaves, leave your bait IN THE NEST, when he returns seconds later, he will pick up your bait to move out of the nest. Alternatively, he will simply attack your bait. You know what to do set the hook. The bigger the crater or bed the bigger the male gill, just a little tip on getting the bull gills. If you place your condos on the outskirts of these bedding areas they should hold while moving back and forth do to weather ECT. Good luck!!
    Michael