Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on a packable fly rod/reel for backing trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice on a packable fly rod/reel for backing trip

Hello.

i need advice on buying a fly rod/reel combo for use on our semi-annual backpacking trips to the smoky mt nat'l park.

this may, we will be doing a 3 day 2 night hike on the south end of the park around eagle/hazel creek. i figured that it would be a good excuse to buy a fly rod/reel.

it needs to packable. i'd like to keep the cost under $150.

any advice on specific models and where to buy is greatly appreciated as this will be my first fly rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Any 4 piece fly rod outfit is packable. A 9 foot 4 piece rod breaks down to about 30" in total length. I've seen many rod tubes holding 4 piece rods tied vertically to back packs. If you really want to go packable a 6 piece rod is the ultimate but these are usually pretty spendy. I bought one of these in this link for my gf and it is a decent outfit. Shop around and you can probably find it close to the $$$ you want to spend. If you do spend a little more it is probably worth it. This will get you started but for certain any outfit with a four piece rod will let you carry it on a back pack easy enough. And for fishing Crappie and other pan fish I would recommend the 3/4 weight rod.

Fly Fishing Outfits, Essence Outfits - Ross Reels USA / Ross Worldwide

Dan
    Alright fish, I know I got something in this boat you'll eat.....Yep, the 'ol boat carpet seat cushion jig does it every time!

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard a lot of good things about the Cabela's Stowaway outfits. Here's the combo. It's a little more than what you're talking about, but if you already have the reel and line, all you need is the rod.

Cabela's: Cabela's Stowaway 6/Prestige Plus Fly Combo

$90 for the rod alone:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat105573780

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in MS View Post
    ... this will be my first fly rig.
    I missed this part before, so you'll obviously need a rod and line. If the Stowaway combo is too pricey, consider just getting the rod and pairing it with a cheaper reel. Cabela's has their Three Forks reels on sale for $30. Bass Pro and Troutlet also have some inexpensive reels. Just add the line, and you're in business.

If a 4-piece outfit is not too long for packing, I'd go with a Bass Pro Hobbs Creek combo, a Cabela's Three Forks Combo or a Redington Crosswater combo. All are between $100 and $150.

Just noticed that the Sci Anglers combos are also 4-piece:

http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Ang...9704580&sr=8-2

Post Thanks / Like

This is the setup I used when first learning to fly fish. Right now it's on sale for $40. Comes with rod, reel, backing, fly line and a tapered leader so all you need is a case. Really surprising quality for such a cheap setup.

Cabela's: Cabela's Cahill Fly Rod and Reel Outfit

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all of the responses.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two Cabela's Three Forks rods, and they are top notch setups for the price. I'd definitely recommend checking them out!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Browning 6 pc pack rod. 8'-11" 5 wt. The handle comes off and you flip it arround and it becomes a spinning rod. You can pack it horizontal. They are hard to find but I really like it when I'm packing in a ways. I got mine on closeout at BPS for about $60

I've seen Eagle Claw pack rods for $20 bucks at BPS & Academy.

Post Thanks / Like

You've got plenty of recommendations on the brand and models, so I'll give you my dos pesos on size. If I could only have one fly rod for backpacking and trout fishing, I'd go with a 7' 6" 4wt. If you like to fish big water or some bass fishing, a 8' 6" 5wt is a good place to start. But for backpacking and fishing for wild trout, I'd go with the 7' 6" 4wt...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast