Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ice end in sight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice end in sight

We've had a terrible winter this year here in the Northeast. But there's a light at the end of the tunnel. We still have about a foot of ice on most lakes & ponds. The daytime temps are now in the upper 40's, so I suspect the ice won't last more than a week or two at most.

My question: When open water becomes available, what presentations would you guess would get me bit - besides live bait. I'm thinking about casting a 1/16 oz. marabou jig up onto the ice edge and dragging it off into open water. Never fished this early before, which is why I'm asking. Like I said, this winter has been horrific up here and I just can't wait much longer to wet a line. Thanks folks!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

was just thinking of that. and it kind of occured to me that it doesn't make sense for the crappies to act that much different in 35° water than 33°. so in these parts teardrops jigs are the big thing throught the ice other than minnows. teardrop jigs with maggot or mousie.

well in comparison,a 1/16oz lure looks huge. i've challenged the jig makers to 1-32/64 and have been pleasantly suprised by all the options. some stuff even goes lighter and smaller.

the battle plan is set! the little things are the front line with light falling hair jigs in support. 1-16oz stuff are reinforcements once real warmth sets into the targeted lake. I've mostly stocked up on 1-32oz/ 1" fare.

for right now, though, it would just be nice to see iceout. The traditional start of the season for me is march 20ish. I usually arrive the middle of the bite! the ice fishermen, though have been blessed with more than the normal amount of ice. people are still saying 12-15" of ice in Southwestern NY. I think if I show up late next week or early week after that, I'll see the illusive first few runs of crappies.