Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we need a new class size for spinning tackle?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Do we need a new class size for spinning tackle?

After reading the book "Piscatorial Absurdities" I wondered if the should add another class. Now we have UL which covers 0 to 5 Lb test. I was wander if it should new have a new class of Micro Lite which would be 0 to 3 Lb and UL to be 3 to 5 pound test line. The reason being the 99.9% of the people saying they fish with UL never use anything below 2 lb. With the Micro class it would give recognition to those who the special equipment to fish with this type of fishing gear.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

ROTO VISE DEALER

Post Thanks / Like

Even the current system does not work versus the line used since many anglers put heavier rated line on their gear than what the rod rating implies- especially when using braids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigtosser View Post
    The reason being the 99.9% of the people saying they fish with UL never use anything below 2 lb.
    ... and I'd guess that about 95% don't go below 4lb ... and, on top of that, most 4lb line is really 6lb line with a 4lb label on the box.

Post Thanks / Like

WWW you opened up a whole new can of worms. DB4D I wondered when you were going to come in and you cheated because you read the book. Thanks for letting me know about it.
    The reason I brought it up was because of the people that are interested in setting records. If we add the Micro class it gives us a whole new arena for setting records. Todays tackle will not handle 1/2 pound line and almost everything in the Micro lite will need to be custom made. I find it challenging. I am going to build a rod for that purpose.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

ROTO VISE DEALER

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but .....

I have a rod that's rated for 2-6lb test line .... what class would that fall in ??

Rod is a Mitchell Zero Gravity (High Molecular Density Carbon rod blank)
    Model ZG66LS
    Length - 6'6"
    Lure weight rated for 1/64-1/8oz
    Line test rated for 2-6lb test

Since the line rating covers both ranges of your proposed rating (0-3 & 3-5) ... and even into the next rating class (since the rods upper limit is 6lb test) ... which rod class rating would it be considered as .... the lowest line test, or the highest ?

And ... what actually are we rating/classifying ?? The rod or the line ?? Or are they inseparable ??

And, how exactly do you propose to get line mfg's & rod mfg's to classify their products under ONE ruling ?? There's so much leeway in the current system, it would have to be standardized throughout both manufacturers ... as well as customizers.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Your rod would have no bearing on anything. The only thing would be the line. The reel does not even enter into it. But what will bring the rod and reel into the picture is the line. If you are using 1/2 to 1 lb. line you could use a saltwater reel on a surf rod but you could not cast a 1/64 oz lure with it. In the mico class you should be able to cast a 1/64 oz jig 40 ft. The only thing that will keep you from doing that will be your rod and maybe the reel.

ROTO VISE DEALER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    ... and I'd guess that about 95% don't go below 4lb ... and, on top of that, most 4lb line is really 6lb line with a 4lb label on the box.
    And that is another issue in itself.

Post Thanks / Like

That would not affect Micro Lite as it only goes up to 3# and any other line would have the line Dia. on the box which is accurate. You can get 2# line that is actually 2# test. Three pound line would also be correct as it is not in mass production as sport line. What happens in the UL class is up for grabs. What I am talking about is the Micro Class. As soon as the weather clears up I will be testing all the equipment that I have with a 1/64 oz weight to see how far I can actually cast it. The smallest line I can find anywhere close is 2#, but have access to 1.5# euro line.

ROTO VISE DEALER

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said way too much leeway. Now on line, back when I was a kid there was this old man who fished for gills and his line was 00 sewing thread which tested out to 1.5 lb test, and this guys kicked the crap out of everyone. Don't know as I'd want to go that low LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    ... his line was 00 sewing thread which tested out to 1.5 lb test, and this guys kicked the crap out of everyone. Don't know as I'd want to go that low LOL.
    Yeah, I don't think that's necessary in most situations. I have gotten a couple of 7-pound fish on 2# line, though. It's amazing what you can do with it if you take your time and don't "muscle" the fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast