Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Green River Yesterday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Green River Yesterday

The surface temperature was 45 degrees and warmed to 49 in the afternoon. The water was murky and the wind did howl. Fishing was tough. We caught several small crappie but no keepers, all on tubes.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks RB .....

keep up the reports on GRL, whenever you go !!

Do you fish the river end, mid-lake, or around the island area ??

Were you just beating the banks, or targeting specific types of cover ? Were they Black Crappie or White Crappie, or a mix ? At what depths did you fish, and at what depths did you catch your fish ?

I always used to fish the Spring spawn around the island area, and a couple of creeks off of Robinson Cr. ... usually starting around the 3rd week in April. I've had my best luck using 1/16oz chartreuse Roadrunners, or Elec Blue/char tubes on 1/16oz weedless jigheads.
    (clarification - "elec blue" is just a dark blue with silver metalflake)

Crappie fishing on GRL has always been very cyclic ..... couple of years of mostly dinks - then a banner year of Slabs. What do you think this year will be like ?? ............ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hey CP
    We put in at the state park ramp and stayed pretty close. Getting out of the wind was key. We fished deep cover where the channel swings in next to the bluffs, 20 to 30 feet deep. I bombed out getting minnows so stuck to jigs. There was no real pattern on color but I thought orange/chartreuse best. I don't expect the keeper ratio to be much better than last year.

Post Thanks / Like

We were there the day before. I had more luck with minnows drifting with the wind in 20 feet of water fishing at about 10-15 feet. We caught about 25-30 with 15 keepers (most in the 10-12 inch size) with one slab of 15-16 inches. If we had started drifting earlier we could have had more fish before we left at 4 pm as we had about an hours drive to get back to the house.