Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about Bobby garland baby shads and weed guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about Bobby garland baby shads and weed guards.

I have been having a problem. Whenever I have been shooting docks I have been getting hung up on the boards under the docks forcing me to break off. My first question is would using a jighead with a weedguard remedy this problem? My second question is, would a 1\16 ounce jighead and a number 4 hook be to much for a 2 inch Bobby Garland baby shad? I can not find anything smaller with good weed guards. Thanks for all the info you good people have. I am kind of new to this sport and I hope ya'll do not get tired of my dumb questions.Doh

Post Thanks / Like

I think that would be fine. I fish a 1/16oz with a #2 hook on the BG. I think the #4 would do fine.
    May have to thread it on a little shallower in the bait.
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use BG baby shad with a 1/16 and a #4 sickle with out a problem.
    As far as gettin hung up while shootin docks, try usin a "stick guard" BPS sells them and they come in 3 different sizes.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up weedguards ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullpup969 View Post
    I have been having a problem. Whenever I have been shooting docks I have been getting hung up on the boards under the docks forcing me to break off. My first question is would using a jighead with a weedguard remedy this problem? My second question is, would a 1\16 ounce jighead and a number 4 hook be to much for a 2 inch Bobby Garland baby shad? I can not find anything smaller with good weed guards. Thanks for all the info you good people have. I am kind of new to this sport and I hope ya'll do not get tired of my dumb questions.Doh
    Bullpup ... using a weedless jighead is not going to completely solve your problem, but it will certainly reduce it ... significantly. You still run the risk of getting your line hung, along with the occasional hook snag ... which is why I say it won't "completely" solve the problem.

Now, with that said ... I use weedless jigheads for ALL my casting methods, which includes dock shooting. Generally speaking, I'm using 1/32 or 1/16oz jigheads with a #2 Aberdeen ... but, I do have them with a #4 Aberdeen. I like the #2 hook for plastics over 1" ... but, like Buffalo13 says, you can run a #4 hook a little closer to the top, rather than centering it, on the thicker bodied baits.
    I use two different styles of weedless jigheads : the brush guard type, and the Y guard type, as shown in this picture :

These are 1/16oz ballhead weedless jigheads, w/#2 gold Aberdeen hooks, made for me by Grousefly (aka Paul Mullins, owner/operator of P&S Custom Tackle) Either style is available in black or clear guards ... and several different hook colors.

I've mostly been using them with Crappie Pro 1.75" solid body tubes, and Panfish Assassins (shown below)

But, I have some BGBS that I'm going to use, starting this season ... and I've already test fitted one with a jighead w/#4 hook, and it appears that it will be fine. The BGBS bodies are not significantly bigger than a Panfish Assassin. The tail is longer, making up most of the length difference .. but, the body isn't as thick as a PA, and isn't any deeper ... so a #4 should work OK, even if the hook is centered through the BGBS body.

Read my reply to KyBass1, in this thread : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kentu...ppie-rigs.html and you'll find where I've explained how I keep my weedless jigs from snagging ... most of the time :p ... by "taking a bow" to the jig Thumbs Up (contact info for Grousefly is also there)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, You all have been more than helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

if you dont let it fall to long it will stop some of this and i use a 1/32 and a 1/24 oz jighead 1/24 fall slower and keeps it in the strike zone longer if you want to try 124 send me a pm and ill get you info on some
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-08-2011 at 03:14 AM.
    fishing from the couch in front of the tv doesnt count

Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy
    Thanks for your photo answer to Bullpup969's post.
    How did you flatten the panfish assassin? It looks great!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Lol !!

Quote Originally Posted by ijerkum View Post
    crappiepappy
    Thanks for your photo answer to Bullpup969's post.
    How did you flatten the panfish assassin? It looks great!
    Ijerkum ... no alterations were done to that Panfish Assassin :p It's just on the jighead UPSIDE DOWN Doh Rofl

(but, if you're talking about it looking "flat sided" ... the pic was taken with a scanner, which may have mashed it's sides flatter than they really are )

... cp