Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spinning reel question???

Post Thanks / Like

Default spinning reel question???

First off, what I am looking for is a combo of rod and reel in the lightest form possible in 6ft lenght on rod. I am looking for the lightest reel possible but i am pretty interested in a reel that is small but has a larger diameter spool than what Im used to using. Ive been a pretty big fan of sahara reels and like them but the spool diameter is so small you get tons of line twist so your always getting the dreaded tangles and line flying off the reel unexpectedly. The link below shows the type of reel im talking about. Still small but has a larger diameter spool....

Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier Spinning Reels

As for the rod, I want the absolute lightest most sensitive rod on the market. I know this combo may be expensive and I understand that.

Also any info on these types of larger faced reels like pictured above would be appreciated. I like the reel above but Im seeing pfleugers that are about 3ozs lighter for the same size reel but once again im back to having the little bitty diameter spool.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I just read some of the reviews on the real above and think that some of my answers are already answered. Folks reviews are saying that because of the larger spool size it minimizes line twist tremendously. Now All I need to know now is, with this style reel which one would be the lightest. Ill be researching but I will appreciate any info.......

Post Thanks / Like

pflueger patriarch 9530 6.3oz - ESP 6' power-lite 3.0oz
    reel $199. rod $59
    have not had my hands on either but have been told the reel is extremely light and I have an esp rod on the way
    heard very good reviews on both
    I think Pflueger has upper hand with price quality right now, have a supreme paid $79 and love it. I got away from Shimanos
    because of narrow spools 10yrs ago. dont think you can go wrong with larger diameter spools
    supreme 8030mg 7.4oz
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the Pflueger Patriarch would be a good choice for the reel. For a cheaper solution, the Daiwa SS 700 is a great UL reel. It's spool is not huge, but it handles light line very well.

For the rod, the decision is easy: GLoomis in either IMX or GLX.

Post Thanks / Like

i use bps ultra lite and i like pflueger president.no problems out of either.good luck

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCrazed View Post
    Actually I just read some of the reviews on the real above and think that some of my answers are already answered. Folks reviews are saying that because of the larger spool size it minimizes line twist tremendously. Now All I need to know now is, with this style reel which one would be the lightest. Ill be researching but I will appreciate any info.......
    I have 1 of those reels in the larger Bass size. Love it just for the line twist problem. Find I get longer casts and drag seems to be a little smother with larger spool. I fish both mono and braid on it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I have the pflueger presidential on a BPS micro lite in 7'6" and love it. I can fling a 1/32 oz jig a country mile with it and it's very sensitive to strikes.

"Keep talkin smack and I'll make ya famous !!!"
    B&L Marine Pro Staff

CRAPPIE60 is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pflueger makes a reel called Arbor.Large spool similar to the bps reels. Looks like mid -seventy dollar range.I dont have one but I am looking at them.Not sure about the weight.

Post Thanks / Like

CRAZED...I bought one of those this past week....was on sale for 49.99, and if you take a reel for "trade in" you get another 10 bucks off.....got it for 39.99....it seems nice, but I havent got to fish with it yet.....but like I said seems like a decent built reel....the "pro" at BPS told me the same about the larger dia spools.....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

That question is as wide as it is deep. I personally don't like large spools but if your fishing mono I think you have to. Go small spool, spool braid, and fish the most sensitive rod that fits your budget. I fish Shamano reels on light G-Loomis rods. That is not a combo that everybody wants but it does keep the weight down, send a pm if if you want model numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast