Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Clearwater River Kooskia,Idaho

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Clearwater River Kooskia,Idaho

The weather has certainly moderated in our little part of Eastern Oregon in fact was nice enough to drag out the crappie gear and consider the Snake River (Brownlee reservoir) unti that is the Corp of Engineers decided to draw down the reservoir making it all but inaccessible to a boat. Oh what to do.
    The Crappie gear went back to the shed and the steelhead gear came out. We loaded up the drift boat and headed out for the Clearwater River near the town of Kooskia. Its the tail end of the big B-run fish but we did manage to hook four of the big bruisers and only boated one. 38" 14 lbs. These fish are real tackle busters. Weather tuned off nasty(rain) turned the water to mud so its back home doing the waiting game.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard some good things about the crappie fishing up there....what's the average size? I also heard you can catch them by the hundreds easily.

Post Thanks / Like

The average size on Brownlee reservoir would be 9 to 10 "s you will however catch some 11 and 12" ers. Early spring is best for the slabs then after the spawn the big ones seem to disappear(well at least they do for us non pros) and YES you can catch a hundred crappie in a day but not always every day. In the Dog days of summer its slows way down..

Post Thanks / Like

I was out at CJ Strike a few days ago, and while you don't get draw downs at Strike like most of the other Idaho reservoirs, the water is still too cold. I tried one of the shallow bays with no luck. The perch at the dam were cooperative, through.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guy, can you give me a idea where on this reservoir we can catch some crappie. Never fished there but have heard some good stories from there. Does it get muddied up with all this rain?
    Thanks