Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Purpose for limerick 36892 mustad hooks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Purpose for limerick 36892 mustad hooks?

I've come across what I think is a good deal on these hooks but wanna know type of flies they are used for or what do ya'll use them for?
    Thanks, AC
    Following in the foot steps of the master fisherman!!
    Mark 1:16-18

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of them. Can you post a pic or a link?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some links to two different of the limerick fly hooks.

Limerick 3689

another style of limerick hook.

Thanks,
    AC

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this one:

Quote Originally Posted by ACSooner80 View Post
    ... is a streamer hook. It says so in the product description. So, it would be used for various streamer patterns.

This one:

... looks like a standard nymph hook.

But neither of these are the same model as the one you mentioned originally. What does that one look like? Similar to one of the above?

Post Thanks / Like

I might have typed the wrong number, but if not it is sold by the same people as those on Ebay, and also could any of those be used for some glass beads? I got some glass beads for hook sz 10 to 16...just wanna make sure the bend of the hook is not to crazy!

AC

Post Thanks / Like

... could any of those be used for some glass beads? I got some glass beads for hook sz 10 to 16...just wanna make sure the bend of the hook is not to crazy!
    The beads should work with either hook. That streamer hook might be a problem, but it's hard to tell from just the picture.

Beadheads are more of a "nymph thing". If a tyer wants to add weight to a streamer, they usually go with a conehead (like a conehead woolly bugger) or dumbbell eyes (like on a Clouser minnow.)

Post Thanks / Like

When working with beads you may need to flatten the barb as the bead will not go over it. Also depending on the diameter of the hook you may need to put on an under warp to keep the from being too sloppy and on a thick hook you will not. Like DB4D said, those are for heavy flies. The longer the hook shank the better the chances the fish will get off. I always use the shortest shank possible even if it meant changing the pattern. If you need a hook for minnow type streamers I would strongly recommend you learn to tie Tube Flies as this is what they are meant to do. With the tube fly you can have the long feathers for the body and a short hook. When the fish takes the fly the hook stays in the fish and the fly goes up the leader. You would have the best of both worlds.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

ROTO VISE DEALER