Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Longlining Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longlining Question

At what water temp do the crappie generally get active enough to take a bait moving at say 1+mph. I would like to switch from tightlining to longlining asap, just dont want to get ahead of myself. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Scott and I got our limit here in East central MS yesterday both spider-rigging and long-lining. After they slowed down on SR we started to long-line to cover more water and started to catch some more. The surface temp was 63 and our speed was 1 mph. It was a perfect weather day, got to 70 with very little wind. We went the day before which was very windy, blew us off the lake and only got 1 keeper, water temp was the same, just unable to fish where we wanted in the wind. The males are starting to get color so the spawn is getting close.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I would say just before they move in to the banks. I usually can start catching them when I find them in something like 12'-14' of water, but things really pick up when you find they have moved into something like 6'-7'. I find they will go in and out for a while and here it seems they hold at that 6' area for almost all of spring, but you can still catch some in water 10'-11' or so during that time too if you can locate them there and sometime you will also find a few big ones there.

Black Crappie will start moving in when the water temp hits about 58 and White Crappie maybe a bit higher at 62-64 degrees or so.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!