Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where to start

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to start

Coming from a beginner, where do you start fishing when the water is this cold?
    Start on the brushpiles? submerged timber? what techniques do you use for cold water?
    specific lake is mozingo, i have gotten a few tips before, but i'd like some more specific tips on where to start fishing, the lake is almost thawed out.

few other beginner questions, are brushpiles effective all year? or will the fish stop using them, because of depth?
    where do you start fishing as the year goes on?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about Mozingo but at LOZ I fish brush piles year round. Of course the biggest reason for that is because I'm not good at finding them suspended or in creek channels so thats really my only option. I will say that I do have to find brushpiles in the right depth of water depending on the time of year. Right now with the water being cooler I have to fish 15-20 ft piles vs here in a month or so I'll be fishing piles in 5-10 ft of water. I wish I was better at findng suspended fish I would probably have better luck sometimes. Hopes this helps some.

Post Thanks / Like

yes that helps some, i think i will be limited to brush piles as well atleast until i get some experience.
    i think my biggest help is going to be me just going out and using trial and error, but it would be nice for someone to give me some direction so i know where to start

Post Thanks / Like

Strahm, I've never fished Mozingo yet but would like to. Brush piles wouldn't be a bad place to start since that's a small lake. Other thing I'd try (especially if it is a warm sunny day) is along the banks on the north and west sides. Water will be warmer there, and the shad will be drawn to that, and so will the crappie. Theoretically, anyway!!

Other cold water tips would be downsizing your baits (though all these reports I've been reading, people are still using 1/16th oz jigs, so....maybe that'd be fine?) and slowing down your presentation. A LOT.

Then again, this is all just my opinion. Mostly just regurgitating stuff I've read.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks that helps quite a bit