Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to start?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to start?

Ive never caught a crappie on purpose...but i want to start. All of my gear is bass gear...except my boat...its a crappie boat...i got a good deal on it and the bass dont seem to mind.

Id like to start crappie fishing but im a bit uncertain as to the best way to start. I read a lot about spider rigging and trolling and that soounds cool...but ive also heard that you fish for them differently in the spring time.

What would be your advice for someone just starting out this time of year? Should i rig up rod holders and plan on trolling? Or should i just wait and use casting gear? Or should ingo a step further still and use those longer poles?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

slip bobber with a #4 hook and a minnow. Its that simple.

When the spawn starts, you can almost catch them on a bare hook.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

The easiest thing would be for the next two months, to pitch a 1/16 oz jig with a 2" grub. Throw it to all the spots and cover that you have bass fished. Enjoy catching 50 crappie when you would have caught 10 bass.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger690 View Post
    ... pitch a 1/16 oz jig with a 2" grub. Throw it to all the spots and cover that you have bass fished.
    Ditto. I think that would be the easiest transition for you.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink IMHO ..... (& JUST my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by fishinhunter View Post
    Ive never caught a crappie on purpose...but i want to start. All of my gear is bass gear...except my boat...its a crappie boat...i got a good deal on it and the bass dont seem to mind.
    Id like to start crappie fishing but im a bit uncertain as to the best way to start. I read a lot about spider rigging and trolling and that soounds cool...but ive also heard that you fish for them differently in the spring time.
    What would be your advice for someone just starting out this time of year? Should i rig up rod holders and plan on trolling? Or should i just wait and use casting gear? Or should ingo a step further still and use those longer poles?
    Thanks.
    If you're a convert, from Bass fishing to Crappie fishing, you can still use some of the same techniques ... and maybe even some of the Bass equipment. You might want to downsize your line & baits, but still use some of your Bass outfits. Alot depends on "how" you want to fish, as to what equipment is necessary. Spinning gear & lighter action rods can cover a wide variety of presentation methods & techniques. Baitcasting outfits can be used for trolling & tightline fishing, and possibly even for casting a float & jig (or float/minnow).

If you want to start from scratch .... Hanr3's advice is on track. If you want to convert, with your Bass fishing skills as a aid, then a light action spinning outfit (say around 7ft with a 1000 series spinning reel) would be a good starting point for casting techniques. Make do with what you've got, on hand, for now ... unless all your gear is Med/Hvy or greater. If so, then you might want to consider getting a lighter action outfit that can do multiple functions. I'm sure that if you've been Bass fishing for long ... you're quite familiar with the Bait Monkey, & his evil brother, the Equipment Monkey. :p Don't let them get the best of you .... !!

Also, it might help to know what specific lakes that you fish. Different lakes have different cover types, water clarity, temp ranges, etc. It might also help us recommend what techniques to use, when to use them, and the equipment needed. It might also help us to know how you like to fish ... do you prefer to cast, troll, tightline, vertical jig, etc ?? Getting started with a method that you're familiar with, & skilled at, will help you catch fish ... which will expand your interest level more & faster than trying a completely new technique, with unfamiliar equipment. How you catch them, & what you catch them on, isn't as important as simply catching them. Thumbs Up

You keep reading here, and studying this fish .... habits, habitat, water temp preferences, foodsource preferences, etc. This will help you determine what techniques will work, & when, and what presentation methods will put your bait into their strike zone. That will give you an idea of what equipment you might want, in order to be effective & productive.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you plan on fishing? I fish two lakes only 30 miles apart, but crappie fish them totally different.
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the replies...they were all very helpful.

CP - that was a very detailed and informative response. Most of my bass gear is medium heavy action so on your recommendation I'll probably pick up a couple of ligher spinning setups.

I'll be fishing Pickwick Lake, TN and then Sardis, Enid, and occasionally Grenada in Mississippi. I understand that they've all got good crappie populations. Ideally I'll get the kids out with me and let them get some action. It's tough keeping them interested in bass fishing...lots of work and not a tremendous number of hits.

This is a great forum...I've learned a bunch already. Again, thanks to all for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinhunter View Post
    It's tough keeping them interested in bass fishing...lots of work and not a tremendous number of hits.
    Yep. I'm glad my dad started me out on bluegill and crappie.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Manchester, TN. Starting out there's a good bit to tell but I'll cut to the chase. As you move around keep a marker close at hand. Like bass, crappie are structure oriented and where there's one there's probably more. Moving around you'll see a piece of structure holding fish and if you throw a marker it's easier, especially for the kids, to stay off the fish and cast to em. Days with good conditions and a light wind you can drift and drag jigs or minnows and cover lots of ground. That may help you find some spots too. Look for the other boats and watch for a while to see how it works. Going by yourself, in the early going, might help shorten the learning curve a bit. I pay closer attention when there isn't anyone else in the boat. Good luck and keep us posted how things are going.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around