Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A tribute to my late father.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A tribute to my late father.

Four weeks ago today I lost my father to lung cancer at the age of 75. (yes, unfortunately, he was a life long smoker) Today I finished my tribute to him in my family room.

Name:  Dad001copy_zpsc993d51c.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  51.7 KB

A closer look at the cross stitch that he made himself.

Name:  3-1-111002copy_zps10701c70.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  44.4 KB

And a picture of him in 1992 with a 14" crappie that he was quite proud of.

Name:  Dad005copy_zps2e0f1e3b.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  46.7 KB

I used one of his rods and his Mitchell 300 reel with one of his bobbers, split shot, and hooks as this was his primary way to fish for crappie. For me I used a Mitchell 301 that he got me in the 70's with a 1oz sinker and my primary jig that I use for tight lining.

My father spent 20 years in the Air Force and introduced me to crappie fishing in the late 60's while he was stationed in Wichita, Kansas. We spent fours years at Aviano Air Force Base in Italy from 70-74 after which he retired from the Air Force and we moved to Sharpsville, PA and fished Shenango Reservoir together for the next 9 years until I joined the Coast Guard. We only fished from shore as he did not get a boat until after I joined the Coast Guard. I have found out from the Pennsylvania forum that Shenango Reservoir is one of the better crappie reservoirs in the state. I never knew how good I had it living only 10 minutes away. My father's boat had "Crappie Only" written on the back of it and to this day it's my motto as well.

I'd like to thank Crappie.com as I fish every weekend and I would always take pictures and post a report in the Virginia forum and send him a link to my thread as he was unable to fish in his later years due to his failing health.
    Last edited by Slab; 11-14-2013 at 07:59 PM.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

George, sure sorry to hear this...A great father & friend....You shared a lot of quality time together and I am sure you will renew those times time & time again..

God Bless You
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your loss and a very nice and fitting tribute to your father. I lost my Father-in-Law and a good fishing partner to cancer back in September. I took it very hard for several months but it gets better and after a while you just start remembering all the good times that you shared.
    May God Bless You and your Family.
    Dave
    CATCH A BIG-UN