Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: problem with quikrete...

Post Thanks / Like

Default problem with quikrete...

hey fellas..how long does it generaly take for it set up...i must not be using enough water...after 2 days it just crumbles apart...im pouring it in square white 28qt tubs...any tips from the pro here....thanks
    Chuck Cissell
    Parker Marine
    Paris,tennessee

Post Thanks / Like

after 48 hours just crumbles? I left a bag out in the rain at that alone made it harden up...So what consistency are you mixing it AND how cold is it where you have left the condo to cure?

Post Thanks / Like

seemed soupy to me...it was bout 50 deg last nite...70 today...
    Chuck Cissell
    Parker Marine
    Paris,tennessee

Post Thanks / Like

I just mix mine till I don't see any more dry crete. Then I'll add just a little bit more water to loosen it up a little more but not too much. Must let it cure for two days to be sure.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even mix it .I put the bamboo in the bucket ,them add sackrete (dry)till the bucket is 3/4 full .Them I add water to the top. Let it set for a little while the water soaks in. then fill bucket back up to the top again with water . The sackrete will set up . All that mixing is like work.
    Hope this is helpfull.
    Nomad
    Were Burning Day light

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Crappiefarmer, add just enough water until you don't see any more dry concrete then add just a little bit more. I mix mine in a wheelbarrow then transfer it to my tubs or buckets.

I believe,from past experiences, that you can add too much water while mixing. I like it to be well mixed but a little hard to stir around, not soupy.

Another thing to watch out for is that you don't place your PVC or bamboo in a fashion that would make your concrete have weak areas in it. I have had a few PVC beds that I made in shallow dish pans break apart on me when I tried to move them.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pappacrappie
    hey fellas..how long does it generaly take for it set up...i must not be using enough water...after 2 days it just crumbles apart...im pouring it in square white 28qt tubs...any tips from the pro here....thanks
    I have had quickrete do this when I mixed it and it froze. Now I add larger rock to mine also, not much maybe a shovel full or so, they use so small of rock when making the mix, the larger rock help hold it better.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

The longer you leave them in the mold the better. Trying to take them out too soon is a mistake.It takes a longer time to set when you have cool temps. 2 days in cold weather in IMO is not long enough. You can look at the concrete and tell if its too green. Like Slabbandit stated leave enough space that it will be strong.I also will drill a hole in the bottom of my PVC pipe to give the concrete something to grip on. I've pulled the pipe out of green concrete try to get them out of the mold.

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

drill a hole in bottom of pvc and put a nail or heavy steel wire this will hold it together if cracks i take a piece of wire and put a stand up in top of the cret. and lower it in lake with rope
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

AWww, you guys are trying to make rocket science out of a simple chore.

Just stick your material in a 5 gallon bucket and pour DRY "quickrete" in around the material until the bucket is about 1/2 full, then fill with water and let it sit for a few days. Drop bucket and all in the lake. No mixing,shoveling, or measuring involved.:rolleyes: I'm lazy and I guess it shows in how I build my condos, but the crappie aint paticular about where they live.:D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast