Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing seal in the lower unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacing seal in the lower unit.

Went out with hiya on Sunday and noticed that when we pulled out that I was leaking oil from the lower unit. I took it to the shop this morning to have it worked on and the gentleman told me I was looking at roughly $300 to $400. This is the first boat I have ever owned and I had someone else tell me that sounded extremely high. Any thoughts from you guys? Am I getting a royal screwing on this or is this the typical range for this type of work?

And as far as the fishing went we came home with 13 good size fish but got to the hole a little late because we weren't sure where we were going. I believe if we would have got there as early as the rest of the guys we could have came home with close to our limits.
    "They call me The Crappie Menace."

Post Thanks / Like

What brand and horsepower is the engine. I'm sure that they are replacing the water pump while they are in there.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a major seal leak if it's that's visible. If this is the first time out this year since sub zero temps hope that's all it is and would agree with LSL most shops would replace the impeller while the lower unit is dropped. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a 1992 85 horse Yamaha.

Post Thanks / Like

85 dollars hour average, plus parts, no not a bad price.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure it’s a seal. I ran under a load once towing someone in and had what looked like a seal leaking the next day. turns out sometimes un-burnt fuel (two-stroke) will also come out of the lower unit, actually exhaust. If your seal is leaking the oil will look milky.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience it cost's $200 just to drive by a shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellows, not knowing anymore about boats than I do I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting hosed on this deal. But it sounds like the guy was pretty fair.

Now I just can't wait to get her back and get back on the water with you gentleman. Good luck fishing all.

Post Thanks / Like

I paid just about that for the same thing on a 40HP several years ago. Sounds right to me. Sucks to have to do it, but at least you found it before there was real damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Better hope that its a seal and not the housing cracked from having water in your lube causing it to freeze and crack. This is why you drain and refill your lube in your lower unit before winter hits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast