Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rivers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rivers

Most of the speck fishing I have done has been in lakes, but there is a river close to my house that I am planning on trying out. For those of you who often fish in rivers, are there any specific tips for river fishing that you would like to share?

Post Thanks / Like

If there isn't any current, fish it just like a lake. If there is current present, find something breaking the current (brushpiles, rock piles) and fish the calm downstream side of this cover, whether it be on ledges or the bank during the spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wondering about rivers too. While there are several lakes around my area (Savannah, TN), I own a campsite on the TN River and want to do most of my fishing there. I know where they are during spawn, but loose them during the summer. In the immediate area there are a couple of large creeks with a 2'-12' average depth, a large island, and of course the river with current. The river channel depth around my camp ranges from 22' to 48'. Any suggestions, hints or ideals on where/how to fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Blount
    I've been wondering about rivers too. While there are several lakes around my area (Savannah, TN), I own a campsite on the TN River and want to do most of my fishing there. I know where they are during spawn, but loose them during the summer. In the immediate area there are a couple of large creeks with a 2'-12' average depth, a large island, and of course the river with current. The river channel depth around my camp ranges from 22' to 48'. Any suggestions, hints or ideals on where/how to fish?
    Mac I have been thinking the same thing. The east side of Dimond island has to be full of them . With all the trees in there. but with the current it is hard to fish. but I do plan on trying it this year.
    Also the dead water above wolf has to have them in it. But its so full of gill nets an whtie bass I don't know if you could catch a crappie.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Fish every bend in the river. Inside and outside. If you are catching fish, remeber the direction of the sun in that location. Move up or down river to similar spots. They may only bite on the east facing banks or west facing banks. They also may bite on one in the morning and the other in the evening. Flats with access to deep water is good this time of year.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Fish the channel dropoffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the info...keep it coming.
    ShilohRed, my camp is on down the river at Swallow Bluff....below Saltillo. The backside of Swallow Bluff Island has a depth of @ 25' with some bottom structure (stumps), but there is also current there when they are dropping the river. By-the-way, the corp seems to do that every weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Mac I have only went up river from the ramp there at Saltillo. Been planning on running down that way and looking around.
    Heading to Yellow creek in the am

Also we looked a lot down below you last year and one at Whites creek way on down the river. Wish we had bought those 2 on whites.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Blount
    Thanks to all for the info...keep it coming.
    ShilohRed, my camp is on down the river at Swallow Bluff....below Saltillo. The backside of Swallow Bluff Island has a depth of @ 25' with some bottom structure (stumps), but there is also current there when they are dropping the river. By-the-way, the corp seems to do that every weekend.