Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poles from fresh cane

Post Thanks / Like

Default poles from fresh cane

has any one ever tried this making poles from freak cane if so can y'all educate me please

this is what I was wanting to use think I could slap a set of cheap guides on them and make me some long poles haha don't know if I'll ever do it, just one of my crazy ideas lol
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

long ago we'd cut fishing poles from cane down on the river. never put guides on them. you don't want to use those in the picture. good straight cane is what you want. to do it right you need to hang it from the tip and let it dry and seal it. you want to go to the trouble i imagine you can fine ferrels to make jointed poles and put guides on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Josh, I didn't know there was any other way until I was 10 to 12 years old.We always fished in creek or pond with cane poles. Put you a slip knot down about half way of pole( just in case the top breaks out) and a couple of hitches up top of pole, and about as much line as pole is long. Probably been more fish caught with cane poles, than rods until a few years ago.The first time I took my grandson, I made him fish with a pole. That didn't last long( zebco 33 replaced it before day was out.

Post Thanks / Like

Cut the cane poles while they are still green and then we hang them from the tall pine tree in the yard from the tip so they dry straight. Usually let them hang about a month. Then seal them.

Post Thanks / Like

would it help them dry straight if you added weight to the bottom?

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught many crappie on cane poles...those in the pic, may be "suspect"... Listen to the guys who are telling you how to make a nice straight pole

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up fisshin witha cane pole. Put the line on like steve48 said. The ones we had when I was a kid had some kind of black braided line on em. Caught alot of bream and crappie on em. We would let stick out the back window of my Dad's old car aff to the river we go. Good ole days! Late 60's.
    God is good...all the time.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sayre315 View Post
    would it help them dry straight if you added weight to the bottom?
    yes it would help.

Post Thanks / Like

We always made cane poles to catch spawning crappie when I was a kid. We would use metal coat hangers to make the guides and the reel. Bend them with pliers and attach them with electrical tape is the way we did it.

Post Thanks / Like

My two boys still make them some cane poles to fish with! They hang them up in a big oak beside our house and then tie a brick to weight it down to dry straight! You would be suprised at how well they work! I have probably over 30 rods and reels, but I want them to know how to fish without having to go buy it all! You never know when it might come in handy in the future!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast