Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a guide to building a fluorescent green light?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone have a guide to building a fluorescent green light?

I found a guide online a few weeks ago to build a 48" light with clear pvc, ballast and green light but I forgot to bookmark it and I cant find it anywhere now. I want to build 6 of these lights for myself and my fathers boat so doing it myself would save some money I think. Im just looking for the parts list (cheapest) and guide with pictures if anyone knows where to find that at. I can only find 1 site offering the guide but they want $17 for the plans.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the site you were talking about for $17 you get the plans....it says building yourself will only cost about a $100 for one!!!! How about this?
    Submersible Fishing Light - Fluorescent - 20' Power Cord and 20' Safety Cord - Green Optronics Lights UW-300G

It's not 4' but you could buy 4 for what it will cost you to build 1!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Those cheap lights are exactly that CHEAP. I've tried em and they suck. They don't last long and don't put out near the light I'm after. I think I can build the 48" lights with the clear pvc for around 80 each which is the route I want to go. Buying them online is about 145 each. If I were only wanting 1 light I would buy them online but ity gonna be a lot cheaper to make them myself since I want 6.

Post Thanks / Like

Try going to Georgia outdoors news , in there forums their was a plan to make a green light . ..........Granite

Post Thanks / Like

Look here. I made some myself last summer following the same type scheme. Only difference is I used the T-8 bulbs so I could go with smaller dia. pvc. The clear pvc is the biggest expense so reducing the dia. saved me about $40-$50. Also the t-8 bulbs are more efficient than the larger ones so you get more light for less money.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...-lights-4.html

I can't find the old thread where I posted pics of mine. I'll try to find them and post again.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the link to thread I posted after making mine.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/tenne...ng-lights.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster1395 View Post
    I found a guide online a few weeks ago to build a 48" light with clear pvc, ballast and green light but I forgot to bookmark it and I cant find it anywhere now. I want to build 6 of these lights for myself and my fathers boat so doing it myself would save some money I think. Im just looking for the parts list (cheapest) and guide with pictures if anyone knows where to find that at. I can only find 1 site offering the guide but they want $17 for the plans.
    While I do realize this is not what you are asking about, it is likely more reliable long term, and is certainly more efficient thus allowing you more flexibility. LEDs are the replacement for Florescent lights, they have not completely caught up to them yet, but I think they would be more than sufficient for what you are doing, and the amp draw is low enough that with some sort of extension cord, you could even use your car battery to run them, assuming you can get your car close enough to your fishing spot. They would be more difficult to build, but you can get them here for what I consider a reasonable price:

Fishing Lights

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to build 2 also. My research shows WW Grainger has 8' clear pvc and T8 bulbs. However they say you must buy 32 of them at $32 each ,ouch. I will keep looking. The link that TNHillbilly gave is great. He did a great job on his lights. If we could talk him into making a sketch , in detail of course, we would all be in tall cotton. I wonder , would the green sleeves at HomeDepot and a white bulb work? Another question I have, I know nothing about electrickery, do both ends of a fluorescent bulb have to be wired?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the Georgia Outdoor News, with that guys info and the info from TNHillbilly a person can make one. There are some unanswered questions though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast