Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Livewells

Post Thanks / Like

Default Livewells

Have any of you heard of this.....for years i have had trouble keepin fish alive during tournament,talked to a guy that fishes in the king cat trail,he told me that for years they had trouble with stressed catfish during tournaments,until a oldtimer said the reason the fish are streesn all the time is cause the inside of the live was black,so they changed it to white an havnt had trouble since..coincident or whatever my live wells are dark.my fish die all the time...what do you all think...

Post Thanks / Like

got me but hopefully someone knows lol

Post Thanks / Like

well never heard of it, do not believe it, but having said that, anything is possible. I would think oxygen and cool temps would be the prerequsit to keeping your fish alive. I know the big boys always have the live wells filled and recirculating and add oxygen to the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of it.Also one of the big name boat makers went to blue livewells in thier new boats to cut down fish stress.Said it cut down on stressed dead fish 60 some percent.
    But i have to agree with Beagle i would think good oxygen and fresh water recirculation would be more of a factor. Prolly just some gimic selling feature they came up with.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

i cant think of any biological reason but i may be worth a try. A tournament crappie fisherman gave me this advice which i did not know. He said dont keep running fresh water in the livewell once it is full keep the recirc or aireator on. He says this puts more oxygen in the water than fresh water.. Especially in the warm months.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never heard it but does not mean it is not true. My livewell is a pretty dark grey in my boat and have had no trouble as long as I keep the air flowing to it and some Rejuvenade and ice in it. After thinking about this for a bit I look at it like this. When the lid is shut on the livewell it is completely dark or "black" inside the livewell. So who knows. How about sharp edges and corners? I have heard that can hurt fish when running down the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

When you shut the lid, doesn't the whole livewell get dark and turn black. A lot like a refridgerator light.

Post Thanks / Like

found this online the other day.Keep Bass, Crappie, Redfish, Catfish, Baitfish, Walleye and Other Fish Alive and Healthy, Live Well Cooling System, Cool Live Well, Bait Fish Tanks, Home sound like a great idea. looks like radiator cooling livewell. This should do the trick.
    Crappie Fishing- Lots of Run...Sun...Fun...Catch a Ton...Or Didn't Get None!

Post Thanks / Like

Why not save yourself the $269 dollars and just put the ice in the livewell. Or go to the scrap yard and get the coil out of an old 5000btu window unit. Go to walmart and get your own aereator and rig it up for $40 bucks yourself... Just a evaporator coil, rubber hose, aereator, thermostat and a switch....

Post Thanks / Like

recirculation and a little ice will keep your fish alive for quite awhile.
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast