Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wind versus boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default wind versus boat

Given two boats of equal length and equal weight which style hull, v-bottom, or bass boat- meaning flatter bottom will hold better on a spot?

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. equal length and equal weight..??

I would guess these criteria would make the boats have the same draft in the water...which would only allow the friction of the hull against the water to be the difference in how the boat "holds" in the water....

My guess would be ...not much different....

I hope this wasn't a pop quiz..cuz I didn't study for it...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

No quiz, just a hypothetical question. I have a Lowe Sea Nymph. It's small aluminum deep-v. It seems to have a hard time staying on a fishing spot when the wind and waves pick up. I thought with the added side surface area of deep-v this issue would be more noticable then say with a less agrressive hull angle

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it would matter too much. The wind creates the waves and the waves are going to pound any boat when tied off. I'd look more into anchors and anchoring tips to solve the problem. I carry 4 anchors along with some rope. If I'm close enough to tie off to something solid on the shore, than that's one good point. Since I refuse to try to fish big waves, I normally drop two lines front and aft with plenty of slack for adjustments. I let the wind push me to where I want. I can then use one, or both of the other anchors to fine tune things. Time, more wind and boat traffic will cause me to adjust the ropes on a regular basis.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

You are not going to be able to beat a fiberglass bass boat for fishing in the wind. They are about as low profile as You are going to get and they are heavy enough to draft enough water to help with wind too. If You are looking for aluminum only, All bets are off. Look for a good anchor or drag a chain.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

The question refers to "Holding" on a spot. I agree with you on the weight of fiberglass vs. aluminum. The glass boat is much better suited for rough water. Dragging a chain would be no help when trying to hold on a spot unless it's beating the brush you're trying to hold on upwind from you. One thing to consider is your anchor ropes. Make sure you're using a rope that does not stretch. Another thing is the type of anchor and the type of bottom you're trying to hold on. Also, I do believe a heavier boat is harder to hold over a spot in wind vs. an aluminum (with anchors). I've had both. It also helps to point your bow into the wind while anchoring, but sometimes, a side position is best. It just depends on how strong the wind is.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer View Post
    You are not going to be able to beat a fiberglass bass boat for fishing in the wind. They are about as low profile as You are going to get and they are heavy enough to draft enough water to help with wind too. If You are looking for aluminum only, All bets are off. Look for a good anchor or drag a chain.CF
    I agree 100%. I have an 18' aluminum and fight it in the wind. I bought a bigger trolling motor to handle wind! I also fish with my nephew who owns a 21' bass boat that you can fish in about any wind. The only thing is the amount of gas used in the big boat....OUCH! I would probably have one if i could afford the gas but I would only get to fish when I got my Christmas bonus!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

The boat with the least profile above the water would be less affected by wind. The more you have exposed to the wind, the more the wind will push it.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    The boat with the least profile above the water would be less affected by wind. The more you have exposed to the wind, the more the wind will push it.
    I believe you'd also have to consider how much of the boat is BELOW the water, too. That part of the equation helps offset some of the push of the wind (which is also why glass deep V boats don't blow around as much).

... cp

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with both of the above posts. I have had several aluminum boats, my last was a 16' sea nymph v bow flat bottom that blew around like a leaf in a parking. In it's defense I only had a 40lb TM on it, wasn't enough. High sides and nothing below the surface gave it a big wind signature. I now have a 17'8" bass boat w/150 hp. It is much better in winds that would have sent me packing before. It's a trade off, ease of towing and cheap operation is a plus with the metal boats, but I like the stability of the heavier, lower profile of my current boat and wonder why I waited so long to make the move. I tried lots of things to hold a position but the wind usually won. Good luck with your decision.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast