Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Lead Explosion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update on Lead Explosion

Earlier Nightprowler posted about JungleJim having a lead explosion while he was pouring, http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...explosion.html

He was having problems posting the photo's so he managed to send them to me to post here on the forum.

I've been on the end of one of these and got some in my eye, didn't lose it but it was bad. Hope you get better fast Jim.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

What caused this to happen?
    living life to its fullest, This is not a dressed rehearsal.

Post Thanks / Like

Moisture!!!

BamaMan

Post Thanks / Like

One of my very first jobs was as an apprentice to a blacksmith. We hand poured very large babbit bearings. This is a lead alloy with tin added. I am pretty sure I know what happened to Fatman. When he put the bell sinker into the lead pot it had some moisture down the center where the bronze eye goes into the sinker. A drop of water, sweat, or any moisture will cause the melting pot to blow all the lead out. I have seen large bearings that were 24" or larger in dia. spew most of the babbit all over us, just because we didn't heat the cast iron housing enough to remove all the moisture. Never wear gloves while pouring lead, just wrap a rag loosley around the ladle handle. If the lead blows out it won't fill up your glove and remove all of your skin. I saw this happen to another apprentice after he was told not to wear gloves.

Post Thanks / Like

Boone this is what happend to JungleJim not me, I'm just posting the photo's

Post Thanks / Like

If you look closely at the first picture there is a piece of lead hanging from my eyelid. I wasn't wearing eye protection then but when I poured today I used safety glasses.Lesson learned for sure.Sinker was a shortfill and sat on bottom for a long time filling with water and then corroding good enough to seal the water inside creating a lead grenade that went off a few seconds after it was submerged in the pot. From now on big sinkers will be drilled full of holes or smashed with a hammer to check for possible moisture inside.

Post Thanks / Like

Just glad you're ok buddy!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting! Maybe this will save someone else from a bad accident!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good safety comments. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I am very happy to hear that nobody was seriously hurt. Please be very careful when pouring lead, a lot of bad stuff can happen. Be sure to wear safety glasses and do not put golves on. Safety is everyones business no matter what you are doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast