Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: minnow rigs at reelfoot

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnow rigs at reelfoot

to all the guys that fish reelfoot with capps and coleman style rigs what is the best weight to use. I made a bunch of 1/2 oz hope this ok. just want help with this

Post Thanks / Like

Should work good if you don't go too fast. I seldom use minnow rigs. I usually tip jig(s) and use a 3/8 weight. I don't fish very deep though, very seldom over ten feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by talltimber View Post
    should work good if you don't go too fast. I seldom use minnow rigs. I usually tip jig(s) and use a 3/8 weight. I don't fish very deep though, very seldom over ten feet.
    x2!!

Juiced Up Baits Pro Staff
    K2 Coolers Pro Staff
    Mike's Custom Crappie Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I always use 1/2 oz. or 3/8 at Reelfoot when pushin' minnows, but the C & C rigs don't work there for me (I say this with some hesitance knowing Ronnie's now on the board and could come through and make me look foolish) but the C & C style rigs use only a crossline swivel, the grizzly rigs have a 4 to 6 inch stand-off, since at reelfoot we usually troll at .0 to .2 mph, the rigs with just a crossline will let the top minnow wrap around the main line, and the stand-off holds them out off the main line when you're at a near stop, doesn't make much difference if you're moving faster, just my opinion. I think this time of year C & C themselves are pushin' jigs, but it'd be interesting to know what they use when they are SLOW trolling there.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingkrappie View Post
    I always use 1/2 oz. or 3/8 at Reelfoot when pushin' minnows, but the C & C rigs don't work there for me (I say this with some hesitance knowing Ronnie's now on the board and could come through and make me look foolish) but the C & C style rigs use only a crossline swivel, the grizzly rigs have a 4 to 6 inch stand-off, since at reelfoot we usually troll at .0 to .2 mph, the rigs with just a crossline will let the top minnow wrap around the main line, and the stand-off holds them out off the main line when you're at a near stop, doesn't make much difference if you're moving faster, just my opinion. I think this time of year C & C themselves are pushin' jigs, but it'd be interesting to know what they use when they are SLOW trolling there.

Post Thanks / Like

yes i started out buying there rigs and they made with good quality but i had the twisting problem too. So i stated making my own. By making the top hook leader out of 30# test line and making it 8 inches, then making bottem exactly same as theres but out of 12# test line, i have not had a problem since.