Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Garmin 178c sounder...?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin 178c sounder...?

Why can't I get it to show the sonar arches instead of the fish? Do I have the wrong transducer? I think I have the 200KHz, but I've been looking online(since I stay on hold for so long when I call Garmin) and I see that there is a 50/200KHz. Is this what I am missing?
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

bumper,
    I don't owe a garmin but on my eagle's you have to cut off all the fish id's, fish tracking, fish alarm, to see the arch's. Also may want to put it in the manual mode instead of auto. You may want to check the angle of the transduce and make sure its shooting straight down if its angled it will not show the complete arch. I'm sure there some folks that know way better than I but you might try these that I've found to help me.
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Depth Finder

I have jist purchased a Eagle 500C. the manual says that you must be moving for the arches to show. Otherwise you will see a flat line only. And you must have the Fish Id Off. I am not sure about the garmin but I would think that it works the same way.

Post Thanks / Like

Turn off the fish ID, bumpers. And as KINGFISHER said the the slower ya go the longer the arch. The fish alarm drives me nuts also...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

On page 38 it explain on how to change from fish symbols to fish arches.

Reference
    Sonar Page Options
    • Set Up Sonar — jumps to the Sonar tab of the Main Menu, which contains sonar configuration
    settings that should not require frequent change. You may also press MENU twice from any
    screen, then highlight the ‘Sonar’ tab using the ARROW KEYPAD. Press RIGHT on the ARROW
    KEYPAD to access the selection fields. Each time the Setup Menu is accessed, the unit returns to
    the last edited selection field.
    To change a setting on the Sonar tab:
    1. Using the ARROW KEYPAD, highlight the desired field and press ENTER and the available options
    appear.
    2. Highlight the desired setting and press ENTER.
    3. Press QUIT to return to the Sonar Page or previous page.
    Sonar Tab Options
    Fish Symbols — allows you to determine how the graph displays underwater targets and background
    information. If Fish Symbols are set to ‘Off’, the unit displays all of the available information
    about the underwater environment. If a fish symbol is selected, the graph displays only the information
    related to that symbol. Actual fish returns may not always appear as perfect arches (like in
    simulator mode), due to the speed, fish orientation, and/or other conditions.
    Water Type — since sound waves travel through ‘Fresh’ and ‘Salt’ water at different rates it is necessary
    to select the ‘Water Type’ to ensure accurate readings on the unit.
    Depth Number — controls the efficiency of the digital depth update rate. ’Fast Update’ updates
    more quickly and is recommended for low-noise, deeper water (>50 ft.). ‘Auto’ is best for shallow
    water or high noise areas, has a slower screen update and is best used if you travel a wide variety of
    depths.
    Resizing the Split Sonar Display
    Double-Arrow
    ‘Size Split’ Menu
    Options
    Fish Symbols Off— All available information
    is displayed.
    Suspended targets displays as fish symbols.
    Background information is displayed.
    Same as above with the target depth attached.
    Suspended targets display as fish symbols. No
    background information is displayed.
    Same as above with target depth attached.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, but I've done all that. The first thing I did when I couldn't do it myself, was believe it or not, I read the directions. A buddy of mine fumbled with it too. I sat on hold for twenty minutes, twice, with Garmin, before I finally hung up. I'll try it again later. Right now my batteries are toast. I gotta get them and then try it. I was hoping it was going to be the transducer not the unit. I've had it a year and a half, mostly used the fish on the screen since every time I went to change it I didn't have the book with me. Thanks guys.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day