Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnows for bait...

tcfootball61 Guest

Arrow Minnows for bait...

Hey guys, I have recently started keeping my own minnows on hand since where I live theres not a close bait shop and its fun to cacth them too... Does any one have and good info I should know about keeping them? Also does anybody know what would be a good feed for them as I have alot... Thxs for any info in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Did your order any or just catch them? How are you keeping them?
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

tcfootball61 Guest

I catch them my self as I have a 4 and 8 foot sein that I use dependning on if I have help or not. As of right now I have them in two differnt fish tanks one is 29 gallons and the other is a 10 that has a huge bubbler on it with both of them having filters and I am keeping there water temp very low....

Post Thanks / Like

i took a 55 gallon plastic drum, added a pump, piping,aerator and filter and been storing my minnows in it. added some pea gravel in the bottom. I never feed em. the ones that die, they feed on. Ive been keeping minnows in it for a year or more now and they like a timex watch, keeps on a tickin
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I keep my in a 55 gallon plastic drum,with one of those pump you put in a gold fish pond ,running 24/7.I catch some out of the creek around my home,with a minnow trap,and I also buy them by the pound off all the fish trucks.Sometime I will put a little bread in for feed,or put a little goldfish food in too.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I keep them in an old wash tub. I have a half pound of minnows (about 15 dozen) in my wash tub right now. I use a bubbler. This is ok with the cool weather. As the temperature warms up, it gets much more difficult to keep them.
    In the summer, I often seine minnows but I try to use them up as soon as possible. Warm water doesn't hold as much oxygen as cool water.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question

How much are these minnows by the lb.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Default prices

Quote Originally Posted by mighty
    How much are these minnows by the lb.
    I pay 8 bucks for a pound,they don't weight them they count them out 100 per pound of the large ones and 300 for small ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought.....what if you were to use an non working chest freezer for your tank, with a wood frame screen for a top. Would that help keep them from getting too warm in the summer with the insulated sides???
    Curious. Also, if your one of the many people who have the extra fridge on the back porch for the sodas and other adult beverages, I have an idea on how to keep the water cool too.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

I have mine in a 100 gallon stock tank. and plan on burying 200ft of pipe in the ground . That way I can run the tank water through it in the summer and cool the water down.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast