PDA

View Full Version : Bead head nymph

ACSooner80
02-24-2011, 10:11 AM
What materail is needed, and what are the most common colors? And what are the steps?

Thanks,
AC

deathb4disco
02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
There is no generic "bead head nymph". You can add a bead head to any nymph pattern you want. For example, I just ordered a collection of BHNs:

BH prince
BH nymphomaniac
BH pheasant tail
BH hare's ear

If you want a BH prince nymph, you just slide a bead on the hook, and then tie the prince nymph. Same goes for all the other patterns.

ACSooner80
02-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Ok welp I'm new to fly tyin so what are the things needed for a prince, pheasant tail, and hairs ear nymphs? Also is there a video or something to show me the steps?

Thanks,
AC

deathb4disco
02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
The prince, pheasant tail, and hare's ear are standard nymphs. They are used all over the world. Every basic fly tying book covers them.

I'm sure you can find several Youtube videos for each of them. (I just checked. Youtube is loaded with videos for each of them.)

ACSooner80
02-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks,
I know that they are standard nymphs just never tied them, I will go and check youtube later on today. Thanks.

Pat
02-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Check this out............. Pat

The Basic Manual of Fly-Tying ... - Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=CZtHoZN6Oq8C&pg=PA198&dq=bead+head+nymph&hl=en&ei=38xmTajpAcmCgAe7j4jLCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=bead%20head%20nymph&f=false)

quivira kid
02-24-2011, 07:38 PM
AC, what are you planning to go after with them?

ACSooner80
02-24-2011, 08:20 PM
I've got a cousin that keeps askin me if I'm tied any yet because wants some, I think he is goin to for some coldwater fishin down south of Oklahoma...not sure....What do you normally go after w/ them? Also those flies you sent me, there is one that has a bead on it and has black chenille/yarn as body and tail...I was thinkin bout doin one of those.

AC

quivira kid
02-24-2011, 08:35 PM
That's actually a leech pattern... try this:
"Furled Tail Mohair Leech - Fly Angler's OnLine Pan Fish Part 535" (http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/panfish/part535.php)
I tie mine in a size 12. Get some Uni Mohair... it makes a nice leech!

deathb4disco
02-24-2011, 08:43 PM
What do you normally go after w/ them?

Bluegill love 'em, too.

quivira kid
02-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Allan, depending on size, a bead head nymph will catch many different types of fish. I use them for both trout and bluegills all the time. Last summer, I would put a beadhead "birds nest" variation I came up with 1.5 to 2 feet under an indicator (fly fishing term for bobber) and drift it along a weed edge for bluegills. I even caught a few bass up to about 3 pounds doing that!

DanAKAL
02-24-2011, 11:30 PM
A BH Nymph is indeed a very good fly for lots of fish and I certainly don't want to persuade you from tying it. However, if this is your first fly I usually recommend a #6 Olive, Black, or Purple Wolly Bugger for first time tiers. It is relatively simple and your hook size will keep the proportions correct. All you need for a Wolly Bugger is a 3XL or 4XL hook, thread, marabou, medium chenille, and strung hackle. I usually add weight to my WB but they still work without weight and there is certainly nothing wrong with adding a bead head for a little extra weight. When tying nymphs its easy to get the proportions out of kilter and it won't come out like you wanted. This leads to a lot of frustration and sometimes people abandoning fly tying completely. After you tie a couple of Wolly Buggers you will develop a lot of skills, such as using a whip finisher, that will help when you are tying more intricate flies. A BH Nymph isn't really a difficult tie but IMHO there are better flies to start with.

Dan

ACSooner80
02-27-2011, 05:33 PM
If I'm tyin a pheasant nymph do I need to have a 2x hook if I'm not usin a bead head? I've tied a few on a mustad R9671 sz 10 wet nymph fly hook. To me they look fine and I'm excited to try them out!! I've been lookin on ebay for some deals on fly hooks for when I have some more cash, so could ya'll recommend some hooks that a beginner at fly tyin should always have in stock, and what is your go to fly hook?

deathb4disco
02-27-2011, 06:42 PM
For a ton of fly tying info, go to FAOL, and click on "Fly Tying" at the top left corner of the page.

Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource. (http://flyanglersonline.com/)

dvuks
02-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Check this out............. Pat

The Basic Manual of Fly-Tying ... - Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=CZtHoZN6Oq8C&pg=PA198&dq=bead+head+nymph&hl=en&ei=38xmTajpAcmCgAe7j4jLCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=bead%20head%20nymph&f=false)

Cool, thanks

Dennis

quivira kid
02-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Allan, get some Mustad S80 hooks for tying nymphs. It's the standard length version of what you've already got.

ACSooner80
02-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Ok, I got mine and some of my beadheads and other hooks off of Njones, he was not goin to tie anymore I guess, and I have got a book from him and we talk bout tyin and I got that stuff from him also. Thanks Zac I will get some here in the near future.

AC