Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peacock Herl, and Pheasant tail?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peacock Herl, and Pheasant tail?

I'm just gettin into tryin some flies, and I'm currently on a tigh budget, but wanna try to tie some midges and some other types of flies and was wonderin where I could get some peacock herl, Pheasant tail? I think that is all I'm needin. I have some dubbin, bucktail, squirrel tail, from tyin jigs.

Thanks,
    AC
    Following in the foot steps of the master fisherman!!
    Mark 1:16-18

Post Thanks / Like

Any decent fly shop will have that. So will Bass Pro and Cabelas.

For midges, you won't need much material. You can just get away with thread on some of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a fabric or Craft store if a fly shop isn't close-by' they have tons of stuff we can use for tying.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro will have 'em. Those are basic fly tying materials that anyone should have.

Post Thanks / Like

I do as much with my local fly shops as possible. Up to and including them ordering things for me. However, there are the things that I just can't get locally. The herl and feathers you are looking for should be available at almost any place you would find fly tying supplies. Perhaps craft stores but I'm not sure as I never looked for these at craft stores. If you have to order your supplies from the internet this is my preferred supplier. Seems they have just about everything and decent prices.
    JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials

Dan
    Alright fish, I know I got something in this boat you'll eat.....Yep, the 'ol boat carpet seat cushion jig does it every time!

Post Thanks / Like

AC you in probability do not have anything in your area that remotely resembles a fly shop. Head to Hobby Lobby in Tulsa or Owasso. They should have the peacock tail feathers and pheasant tail feathers as well as a ton of other material. One thing I would suggest is learn about dubbing. Dubbing can be made from yarn and a small coffee bean grinder. Yarn is cheap and the bean grinder can be had for 10.00. The number of midges you can tie with dubbing is limitless. It it a easy to acquire and worth the effort. An easy to tie fly in the smaller versions are acetate floss flies. You wrap the body in acetate floss and then dip the fly in acetone and it will melt the floss and make a solid body. Great for ants etc. Go on You Tube and do some research in there also.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

ROTO VISE DEALER

Post Thanks / Like

Jigtosser,
    On the midges, what all is needed? I have some bead heads and cyclops eyes, so is it just dubbin on the thread as the body? Or what is needed for the midge?

Thanks,
    AC

Post Thanks / Like

The most important thing is sharp eyes. I can't remember the hook sizes but every thing below a 16 is normal. I know several people that use only dubbing, small glass beads and Larva Lace to tie their midges.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

ROTO VISE DEALER

Post Thanks / Like

K, thanks I lookin thru google tryin to find a place to get some glass beads cheap. thanks,
    AC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigtosser View Post
    The most important thing is sharp eyes. I can't remember the hook sizes but every thing below a 16 is normal. I know several people that use only dubbing, small glass beads and Larva Lace to tie their midges.
    Ditto. I just got back from Bass Pro. They didn't have a single midge pattern bigger than a #20. You don't need much material for a fly like that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast