Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KY Lake Trip March 10 - 12 looking for tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default KY Lake Trip March 10 - 12 - pics added

My buddy and I are taking our sons to KY lake for some Crappie fishing.

His boat is set up for trolling with jigs or minnows

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will update when I find out where we are staying. But places to fish and depth of fish would be helpful.

I have never fished KY Lake and I don't think he has either.

Thanks
    Last edited by jmda; 03-14-2006 at 01:00 AM.
    JMDA

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not from Kentucky, but here is a site that cappiepappy posted that might help.
    http://fw.ky.gov/
    crappiepappy seems to know that lake pretty well. Maybe he'll post. Anyway, thought I'd give you a little info to look at while you wait for so "good" help.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

jmda, See Private Message, In addition to what I sent you be aware of the weather at this time of year. You could find a good guide service on the
    Kentucky,com web site, if you are interested and cann't find it let me know and I will assist.
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

jmda, I am taking my 2 boys to Kentucky lake on the 9th-12th. we are staying at Mansard Island Resort. it's 90 a night. we are also having Richard Williams take us out on the 9th. good luck hope the weather is good and the fishing is better.
    jc

Post Thanks / Like

You'll be in our neck of the woods, crappie10. You'll have a great time with Richard. Have you got a gps? If so, let me know, and we'll try to help you out and send you a few coordinates.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

When you find out where you are going, get a map of the area. Big lake, and you can get lost. You will be there while the lake is at winter pool, so take that into account when reading your map. Some spots are pretty shallow at winter pool and that helps send the local outboard mechanics' kids to college.

Be aware of conditions. Big lake, big waves. It can make a 20 foot boat bounce around like a cork. Don't mean to scare you, just be aware.

There are several online fishing reports that will be very helpful when the time gets close. Try http://www.kentuckylake.com/ to start, and check in here.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see a UK fan in Indiana! :D

Hope you have fun at KY Lake. I've yet to fish there, but I probably will one of these days.
    All in all you're just another fish on my wall.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation jmda ....

look thru the "Study" results at this link: http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.asp?cid=397&NavPath=C101

I really haven't fished KY Lake all that much ... spent most of my time on Barkley (and that was usually in the 3rd week of April). I mostly fished minnow/float setup around buck brush ... or cast Roadrunners/jigs over stumpbeds.
    Check out the March results for the two creeks that were used for the Study ... and check out the weather during/around the 2nd week periods, in those March reports (just for comparison to what the weather is/will be during your trip ... and adjust accordingly). You might also want to check out the "maps" links (or even print them out) to see how the conditions affected the positioning of the fish. If nothing else - it will show you some areas to work over. The reports also tell the depths where the "tagged" study fish were hanging around. You can, also, take this info and apply it to other creeks (in the same general portion of the lake) ... just pick creeks with similar features.

And do listen to the advice about running the main lake (big waves on windy days, etc.) - it's much safer to pull out and drive by road, to a different creek, than take a chance on the main lake with a small boat & windy conditions.

Have a safe and productive trip ......... luck2ya .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses - the State Crappie research was especially helpful.

We are staying in Aurora, KY
    JMDA

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmda
    Thanks for all the responses - the State Crappie research was especially helpful.

We are staying in Aurora, KY
    Which motel? I'll be coming that way on April 1-7.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast