Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knots

Hello All
    I usually use 4 to 6 pound test line. I have used Trilene and Stren. When I tie a knot sometimes the line breaks right at the knot. It almost is like I have bad line. Other times I can tie it with no problems. It does not seem to matter what type of knot I tie. Is there certain knots you should use on smaller line.
    Mike
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure your line is wet. And by wet, I mean spit on your knot before you seat it. Small line is really sensitive to heat so when you tighten that knot down dry, you get some serious friction and quick degrading of the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waxworm
    Make sure your line is wet. And by wet, I mean spit on your knot before you seat it. Small line is really sensitive to heat so when you tighten that knot down dry, you get some serious friction and quick degrading of the line.
    Exactly!! Also, don't pull too hard on the tag end when tightening. I hold the main line and pull the lure to seat then snug with the tag end. I used to use an improved clinch knot a lot and had some to break, but now I use palomar knots to tie just about everything and they don't seem to stress the line too much.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree to all.... Good luck

Fish Detective
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Mopar Matt Hit The Nail On The Head! That's Exactly How I've Learned To Do It From Trial And A Lot Of Errors!!!!lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Clinch with Stren 4 pound Gold. I had a problem with the line breaking off at the top of the water. That cost me a lot of line and also made the next several cast prone to hanging into the tag line. I now use a double overhand knot so it will be sure and break at the hook. I just have to be careful about too much pressure on a bigger fish.
    THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

I like the polomar on larger lines like above 12lbs. I was taught the 'San Diego jam knot' thirty years ago on Toledo bend and use it exclusively on smaller lines. It is real quick on jigs, real easy to tie and holds well but as others said wetting the knot is absolutely necessary for any knot to work well.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Albright Special (not Albright Knot) for joining leader sections and the Duncan Loop for line (or leader tippet) to fly, lure, or hook.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely want to wet the line before pulling the knot tight. I like the Crawford Knot. First fishing knot that I learned to tie. Easy to tie with good breaking strength. I probably use it for 90% of the knots I tie. (Palomar for the other 10%, mainly on heavier lines).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast