Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boating rules for Trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boating rules for Trolling

OK guys
    With the trolling season starting up down south, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on the rules of the road for trolling,,, How closes is to close when trolling in a crowd, down in Ga things can get pritty crowded and I always feel a little timid about jumping in with a bunch of other boat to work a area over, so how closes is to close behind?, Passing a boat?? Crossing?? How about boat control when catching a fish, "I fish solo a lot but the new I Pilot should help" Some times I feel like im in down town Atlanta rush hr traffic and I dont want to piss the rest of the world off unintentionally,,, So what are the general rules for trolling a crowded lake???

Still kind of new to all of this but really like it...
    Thank's
    PJ
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me,,

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been anchored before here and had trollers see me catching fish only to move in. One old couple trolled circles around closer and closer , spiraling in till they got too close. I had to ask them what's up? They just said hello, and I said now get the heck away!
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the boat traffic with the trolling season starting up here in the south. When trolling along a bank, I will pass someone away from the bank when coming across another boat or people along the bank. When passing head-on, I pass to the right. I normally don't cross someones path if they are trolling as well. I normally fish solo, so boat handling can be a problem when catching fish.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

Too close is when your poles are in their boat! Too close is when they are usin your minners out of your minner bucket! And the list goes on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

To add to satdoc's list:

Too close is if you are in range of my favorite baitcaster rigged with a quarter oz sinker!!!
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drum_Master View Post
    To add to satdoc's list:

Too close is if you are in range of my favorite baitcaster rigged with a quarter oz sinker!!!
    LOL thats a good point

Post Thanks / Like

some of you guys act like you "own" the entire lake. The question is how close is too close, in feet or yards. If you can read the registration #'s, that's close enough if not too close imo. I don't appreciate others crowding me to get to their "honey hole" if I get there first, and will stay around just to be in the way if I have to. but they are there when I come by, then I move on to the next spot on my list. One guy likes to drop anchor and cast over a submerged tree, while I prefer to troll. We chat back and forth as I make passes from a distance. Never had a bad word yet. If I'm trolling over his spot, he just waits till I'm out of the area.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care if you pull up along side and want to drop a line 6" from mine. As long as you dont mind a little conversation in the process. If your a rude SOB, keep moving.

If your just trolling on by, don't cross my fishing lines or where I have been casting, share a little info, update on what you've been catching and what type of pattern has been working for you thus far, and a polite hey ya doesn't hurt.

IF I'm the one passing you, I'll shout out "Permission to pass on your right or left". More of a curtesy to let you know I'm there and not to cast at me. Granted Ill pass you on the side you haven't been fishing on since I made eye contact with your rig. Most times I have to repeat myself, not becuase they didnt hear me, its because I surprised them with a request. If they are prior military, the phrase should be familiar.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Not a troller, but, don't appreciate being squeezed. I'll give you my spot and catch them in another, no big deal.
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    I don't care if you pull up along side and want to drop a line 6" from mine. As long as you dont mind a little conversation in the process. If your a rude SOB, keep moving.

If your just trolling on by, don't cross my fishing lines or where I have been casting, share a little info, update on what you've been catching and what type of pattern has been working for you thus far, and a polite hey ya doesn't hurt.

IF I'm the one passing you, I'll shout out "Permission to pass on your right or left". More of a curtesy to let you know I'm there and not to cast at me. Granted Ill pass you on the side you haven't been fishing on since I made eye contact with your rig. Most times I have to repeat myself, not becuase they didnt hear me, its because I surprised them with a request. If they are prior military, the phrase should be familiar.
    Like Hanr3 says.....just do some communicating! We are all grown adults and if you ask you would be surprised what kind of reactions you will get. Don't be a jerk but just ask if it is ok. Ask to pass by. Strike up a conversation. Just communicate a bit and everything is usually ok.
    dkb
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast