Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappiepappy!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking crappiepappy!

Hey! I traveled to Louisville Sunday to visit a friend and, as I went through the countless, boring miles on I-64, I saw a sign... "Taylorsville Lake, next right." It made me think of you. :D
    All in all you're just another fish on my wall.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattcombs
    Hey! I traveled to Louisville Sunday to visit a friend and, as I went through the countless, boring miles on I-64, I saw a sign... "Taylorsville Lake, next right." It made me think of you. :D
    Hope you get to fish it, sometime .... and do give us a report, when you do. ......... luck2ya ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sure

Hey, I think I'll leave the Taylorsville reporting to you. You are, after all, the Taylorsville expert around here. :D

I'm liking this warm weather we've gotten the past couple of days. Perhaps a crappie trip will be in order for this weekend?!

Have you been on the water any yet this year, crappap?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face No Sir, I have not ....

unfortunately ... my work schedule and the weather have kept me from any fishing trips, so far this year. Last time I was "fishing" - was Nov 2005 at Watts Bar
    I'm planning on trying to make it down to Weiss in a couple of weeks ... then maybe a trip to Watts Bar in April ... then Green River Lake in mid to late April ... then Taylorsville by early May. But, you know how "plans" go ...LOL!! ......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    unfortunately ... my work schedule and the weather have kept me from any fishing trips, so far this year. Last time I was "fishing" - was Nov 2005 at Watts Bar
    I'm planning on trying to make it down to Weiss in a couple of weeks ... then maybe a trip to Watts Bar in April ... then Green River Lake in mid to late April ... then Taylorsville by early May. But, you know how "plans" go ...LOL!! ......... cp
    Indeed on the "plans" thing. I usually go fishing with my dad, since he's the big boat man around here. I'm not much for fishing from shore... but we're planning on doing a LOT of fishing this year. Will definitely be hitting up Cedar Creek and Buckhorn whenever a warm Saturday or Sunday rolls around. The old man is wimpy, I can't get him to do much when it's cold out :D. I think I would enjoy it, either way, but you know how that goes.

Dad and I had considered going to Weiss with some of his co-workers, but I think he has decided otherwise. Fine with me, as long as he takes me fishing on his spring break (Dad's a teacher).

You need to tell those bosses of yours to slack up a bit after the spring solstice. Need some "quality" fishing time to increase that work morale, ya know. :D

KyNitroJeff Guest

Matt, what is the best crappie lake in KY and the best time to go?

Thanks,

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,

Well, I appreciate you having confidence in me like that, but I'm still relatively new to the crappie game. I didn't really get into crappie fishing until last summer, so this is my first encounter with spring fishing. I am in love with Cedar Creek Lake. I went there several times last summer and always came home with at least a few fish. I would've had a lot more, but most of the fish were under the 12" limit at that time. With the limit now being 9", and my having caught NUMEROUS fish within 1-2" of 12", I'd say it is the best crappie lake I have ever been on.

When I went Saturday, I found LOTS of fish on the north side of the lake only about 500 feet from the main dock. Apparently the fish are trying their best to begin spawning, but the cold front moving in tonight will ruin that.

I'll be going to try Buckhorn Lake in Leslie/Perry counties this year since it is a little closer to home, but Cedar Creek will always be the main spot for me.

I'm sure others have differing opinions, but the small size of Cedar Creek just makes it easier to catch fish for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb KyNitro ....

Quote Originally Posted by KyNitroJeff
    Matt, what is the best crappie lake in KY and the best time to go?

Thanks,

Jeff
    For size & numbers - Barkley & Ky Lakes
    If you can hit it right .... Green River Lake
    If you know where to go (or someone who fishes it often) ... Herrington Lake
    If you like small lakes ... Cedar Creek - Buckhorn
    If you like "easy" pickings (and 9-11" fish are eaters, in your book) ... Taylorsville

The best time to go - late April into early May (for spawning fish).

I've caught 2+lb fish from Barkley Lake, Ky Lake, Green River Lake, & Herrington Lake. I've never fished Buckhorn - but, KDFWR lists it as "probably excellent" for small water anglers. Taylorsville isn't a large lake, either ... but, if the water level is stable, the last week of April and on into the second week of May is a good time to catch Crappie shallow. And it isn't all that bad of a lake to fish ... on into late Summer (crack of dawn till midday is usually the more productive times, then). Herrington Lake is an enigma ... hard to figure out, at times ... but, if you fish it often and learn where they hang out, then it can be very productive. I've been to Cedar Creek a few times, but never caught anything over 8" ... LOL!!!! (guess I need to get Matt to give me a few pointers on that lake ) ............ luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Herrington Lake is an enigma ... hard to figure out, at times ... but, if you fish it often and learn where they hang out, then it can be very productive. ............ luck2ya ...cp

Hey C.P.,
    I love Herrington!! It is most over looked lake in the State. You are right, you must pay your dues and learn the water but MAN the Crappie are nice! Very few "dinks". You are more than welcome to come down and give me a few lessons, Lord knows I could use some help!!
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hey Fred .....

Quote Originally Posted by Fred in Ky
    Hey C.P.,
    I love Herrington!! It is most over looked lake in the State. You are right, you must pay your dues and learn the water but MAN the Crappie are nice! Very few "dinks". You are more than welcome to come down and give me a few lessons, Lord knows I could use some help!!
    best fish I ever caught from Herrington was off a Sycamore tree that was hanging off the side of a cliff ... caught many a 2 pounder off that tree, until the water level fluctuation carried it off.
    Most of my childhood days (1960's) were spent minnow fishing in Red Gate Creek (Tanyard Branch) & McKetchnie Branch ... & night fishing under lantern light at the "drift pile" (the corner of Red Gate Creek & Mile Stretch - where the logs blow in and hang up).
    As far as Crappie fishing there, lately (within the last 20yrs :D ) I've had some good trips around Gwinn Island and various docks & standing trees between Kings Mill Marina & Wells Landing. Most of the time I was casting tubes or Roadrunners, in late April. But, I haven't been down there to Crappie fish in several years ... so I'd have to start from scratch & ante up my "dues" again :rolleyes: before I could be, in any way, confident of "giving lessons" to anybody :D

Water level & stability play the most important parts in Crappie fishing at Herrington ... especially during the spawning period. And you are right - it is one of the most overlooked lakes in the state (but, that works to "our" advantage .... LOL!!) Even I've fished it more for Bass, over the last 20yrs, than for Crappie or any other species. I've even caught some nice Crappie on crankbaits, spinnerbaits, & 4" plastic craws .. while Bass fishing, there.

I may have to make a point of checking on the Crappie at Herrington, a little more often this year. Sort of "getting back to my roots" ... LOL!! ...cp