Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Advice needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Advice needed

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on trolling, I fish alot of smaller lakes with depths ranging from 2' to 15' being the deepest around 65 acres in size, Would i be better off vertical jiggin, trolling or using a slip bobber? As you can tell this is my first year with a boat...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

this is a depth chart of the lake i'm asking about, any advice would be great
    thanks

Ronnie Capps is offline Seven Time National Crappie Champion * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi scottyc !

For fishing that size pond especially if the water is somewhat stained or has good algae growth I would say the most efficient way to catch fish quick is by trolling. I would recommend setting up with Titelok Pole holders mounted on the front of your boat with comfortable seating either one or two seats depending on the boat size. Position the seats at a comfortable reach distance of the pole holders. Use a foot controlled variable speed trolling motor. My favorite is MinnKota. Purchase 8 --14 ft BGJP B'n'M Jig Poles. Rig those poles with 6 lb line and tie a 1/16 oz jig to each pole. No splitshot or extra weight. Place those poles in your holders out in the pond where there is no structure. Add a small minnow hooked through the lips to each jig or thread on a couple wax worms for natural scent. Begin trolling slowly keeping jigs appx 1 ft off the bottom and poles spread equally with tips about 6 inches from the water. Skirt the pond following any contour you can find where there is a noticeable "drop off". You may catch fish at random but the best places will be where there is some old limbs or structure of some sort. You should have plenty of action quick if your pond has a good crappie population. Hang on tight because bass catfish and bluegill love to grab those jigs as well. Control your boat speed and move into the wind if possible. Move super slow just fast enough to detect forward movement. Let me know if this works.

Thanks,
    Good Fishin !!!
    Ronnie Capps

Post Thanks / Like

would someone explain me the difference between trolling and verticle jigging?

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The term verticle jiggin usually refers to actually holding 1 or 2 poles in your hands...

Trolling usually has the rods in fixed rod holders...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Scottyc,
    I too fish a smaller lake that is TM only and have found a couple of key things to remember that make a difference.
    First And foremost, remember that the water will warm quicker than in a larger lake so everything is happening faster or has more affect on the fish. The fish will be shallower typically faster but they also are more subjected to fronts and weather changes.
    Also smaller lures are typically better for these lakes especially if they are pressured.
    And like Mr. Capps said find the breaks and subtle differences and really key in on them. I your lake is like mine, everyone beats the banks to death. I typically don't even fish them. Get out and find the creek channels an small ditches that are hidden away from the bank beaters. You can get a really good graph for a really good price nowadays that will help you considerably.
    Best of luck!

Jlittle23

Post Thanks / Like

i posted a link to a depth chart of the lake in question, Please feel free to give me your opinon, you'll see there's only a small area that hits 14', Ive never seen anyone fishing for crappie there, as a matter of fact i have never come across anyone fishing for crappie here in new jersey:D