Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 6 wt flyrod

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 6 wt flyrod

I have a friend that vertical fishes with an 8' 6wt flyrod and is very successful..

What would a 6wt equate to in spinning rods? Would it be UL, L or in-between?
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I would say light or possibly even medium light -- definitely not UL. The rule I've seen for converting fly action to spin action is to count 1/16 for every "weight". So, a 6wt fly rod would be roughly equivalent to a spinning rod designed to handle 6/16 (or 3/8) of weight.

As a comparison, I have a UL spinning rod made from a 2wt fly rod blank. It is the softest, most "UL" rod I own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I would say light or possibly even medium light -- definitely not UL. The rule I've seen for converting fly action to spin action is to count 1/16 for every "weight". So, a 6wt fly rod would be roughly equivalent to a spinning rod designed to handle 6/16 (or 3/8) of weight.

As a comparison, I have a UL spinning rod made from a 2wt fly rod blank. It is the softest, most "UL" rod I own.
    DB4D, did you build your spinning rod/fly rod with a spinning reel seat or do you use a spinning reel on your fly reel seat?

I have a 9' 6wt St Croix fly rod that I would like to try using for jigging. Do you think a small spinning reel would fit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    DB4D, did you build your spinning rod/fly rod with a spinning reel seat or do you use a spinning reel on your fly reel seat?
    I didn't build it. I bought it from Temple Forks (TFO.) They took one of their fly blanks and put spinning guides and a spinning rod handle on it.

I have a 9' 6wt St Croix fly rod that I would like to try using for jigging. Do you think a small spinning reel would fit?
    It should, but it depends on the reel seat. I tried this recently at Bass Pro. I tried to fit various spinning reels onto fly rods. Some reel seets handled them with no problem, and others didn't. If nothing else, you could always ignore the reel seat and just tape the spinning reel to the handle.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'm going to try it this week if the wind ever calms down..

Post Thanks / Like

Don I have been using a 9' 5/6wt rod for several years with a small spinning reel on it and I have landed several big Ole mississippi slabs with it along with a few catfish in the 5-6pound range. In my opinion I would not ever use any other type of rod for jigging !!

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Post Thanks / Like

In the fly fishing world a 6 wt fly rod is what a lot of people get for trout. It might be a bit over kill for Crappie. I wouldn't think twice about bass fishing with a 6 wt rod. If you are buying one for Crappie I would think a 4 wt would be about the best choice. If you already have a 6 wt then by all means put fish in the boat!!

If you want a fly rod for jigging and can't find a spinning reel to fit the reel seat then why not use a fly reel? You can get them at BPS, WM, and other places for $20 or so. Just wind some fly line backing on your reel and tie about 20 - 30 feet of monofilament or fluorocarbon to the backing. I would think this would make a really good jig pole. It wouldn't cast very well but for jigs it would be a very sensitive set up with a lot of back bone.

Dan
    Alright fish, I know I got something in this boat you'll eat.....Yep, the 'ol boat carpet seat cushion jig does it every time!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A small spinning reel will do fine, but a 1500 to 2000 series reel has a bit bigger spool and makes life a bit easier. Looser coils of memory in the line and bigger drag washers for a smoother drag. Remember to loosen the drag when done for the day so the drag washers don't compress and it'll work smoother for a lot longer, no matter what size you go with.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around