Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Stalking This Weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Stalking This Weekend

I am planning on my first night stalk this weekend and need some advice. When do you start fishing? How long does it take to start getting bites? Is a channel ledge a good place, or would a deep point be better? I would appreciate any tips!

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.crappie.com/rango/index.htm That should answer all of your questions.

Post Thanks / Like

im no pro but they will be shallow this time of year. Try the ledge . I float a headlight. don't be suprised if they sit on the bottom at night.try 6-10 ft.I do better after the spawn. many times i get em 4-6 inches off the bottom all night, and never see em on the fish finder.use slip bobs and minnows. Keep warm cloths in a plastic bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re

I guess the main thing I wanted to know was what time should I start, and when should I give up or move if I don't catch anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Get out there and get set-up before dark. So, what time you should go depends on how long it takes you to get set-up. Cut the lights on at dusk and wait at least a couple of hours, unless the wind is bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Caught 6 Last Night

I caught six last night. They were mostly small though. Only 1 keeper. I was anchored right over a channel ledge where there was a S shaped bend. There appeared to be alot of fish on the depthfinder. The channel was 22' and the top of the ledge was 12'. The water temperature is in the high 50's. I was only out there about 3 hrs after dark. I intend to go back Saturday night and fish longer. It seems like it would be a great spot. Maybe I should try some deeper water??? Wait longer??? Any thoughts??? Anybody else having luck right now at night or should I wait till after spawning???

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to visit the South Carolina forum and post your questions. Those guys are really into night stalking and very experienced at it. I've been fishing at night for the past couple of months. I try to set up in 25-30 ft. of clear water. Usually if the bite happens it's sorta slow but after a couple hours we've caught 20-25 per night. Sometimes less, depending on the place, fish mood, whatever.....that's fishing. Once you've picked your spot dont be in too big a hurry to leave. Sometimes your lights will take a little time to draw the bait fish which draws the crappie meaning it could take 30 minutes to an hour before anything happens. Right now we're catching fish anywhere around 12-14 ft deep, but most are coming from about a foot or two off the bottom. The bite is light most times so you really need to light up your poles so you can see 'em. Most of the time it's only a tap, maybe the line moving sideways, sometimes the line will even get slightly slack. If you cant see your rods you wont see the bite most times. Maybe this will help you some. Go out and give 'em a try!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tip gabowman! I'll give it a shot! Let you know how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like

Where you fishing at, Bowling Green man? Leaving your Kentucky pals out of this night stalking, I see. :P
    All in all you're just another fish on my wall.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re

Fishing Barren!!! Never done it before but it sounds like a blast. I'm gonna change my strategy and go Sat night. I'll let you know how it goes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast