Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pine tree tops in GRWD - need advice

turkeyslammer Guest

Default Pine tree tops in GRWD - need advice

I'm new into crappie fishing. But, I've been catching the heck out of them near my house in 18 - 23 ft. I just got access to a bunch of pine tree tops and am planning to put them out this weekend.. How are they for crappie? These are about 10 ft tall fresh cut. Should they be placed laying down or standing upright. Is it too late to put them in shallow? I have picked a few ridges near where i"ve been catching good fish. There's no piles currently on these ridges. The ridges are steep with many small flats ranging from 12 - 30 ft deep. There's also a channel going back into a cove. I've been catching a bunch near the opening of this cove. Should I pick some spots on in the cove where it starts getting shallower? The cove has about 300 yrds of 8 ft + water with gradual slopes up to its banks and about 50 yards wide. Looking for suggestions...........

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Pine usually rots quickly and not sure fish will like it as well. Try bamboo ,PVC, or Hardwood. Tip , fresh Hardwood with leaves goes through a souring stage before they get good in the water. I prefer PVC or Bamboo as it does'nt seem to cause this problem and fish move right on most of the time.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

turkeyslammer Guest

Thanks...Bad part, the tops are going to be dropped off in my yard and I'll probably have to use them any way. Any idea how much wieght it will take to get them to the bottom?

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

All depends how dry they are. If really dry ,better load up the concrete blocks.:rolleyes:
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs