Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plastics?

Post Thanks / Like

Default plastics?

you guys have gotten me interested in making some baits so heres a few ????? where do you get your plastic,colors and scents?how does injection work?when you heat up the plastic and inject it in a mold how fast does it cool down?how many molds can u do with the injector full of plastic?etc. im wanting the carrot mold and maybe a tube mold to start with

Post Thanks / Like

you can get the colorants at a few places like lurecraft, bearsbaits, m-f plastics and a few others. You can get your plastic there to as well as scent. The plastic cools down really fast once you inject them. You can open the mold in less than a minute. Until you get the feel for it though, be safe and wait atleast a minute or two. I would not want you getting burnt. It is a nasty burn when you get one. Injectors come in different sizes so it is hard to say how many you can inject at one time

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info crappieseeker

Post Thanks / Like

your very welcome, and when I put those names of places I meant those were internet sites. So go to like bearsbaits.com

Post Thanks / Like

so you heat the plastic up and put it in an injector and shoot it into a mold?how hot does the plastic have to be ?and what do u do if there is some left in the injector just reheat it or ?thanks for the help guys just trying to figure this stuff out before i buy things to do it with

Post Thanks / Like

You will hear different suggestions as far as heat. You want it hot enough but if you get it too hot it will scorch it. Some people use heat stabalizer to help with scorching. I think people fluctuate between 300 and 350 for temp. It does not take long to get use to figuring out how it works best for you. You might mess up a little bit of plastic starting out but then again you may get it right from the start. If there is any left in the injector when you fill the mold then purge it back into your pyrex cup. After your injector has cooled then open and pull the remainder out. Most people save the pieces and reheat all the extras of the same colors together later or they just heat them all together and add black coloring to make their black colors. Once you remelt a bunch of odd colors you cant hardly change the color other than to brown or black or mostly darker shades. The main rule is to be very careful because it can burn you badly, make sure you do not get it anywhere near water. Please wear gloves and eyeglasses and cover your skin with clothes

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing, if you go to the last thread in this forum their are some Do Not Do stuff listed and other helpful hints.

snake River is online now Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

very well said seeker when you are re-heating plastics be awful careful and make sure that you are constantly stirring it will burn fast on the reheats the awful cautious with the injectors they can spurt out and burn you badly you will get on to how to use injectors with the molds when you are using raw plastic in the microwave. Also keep which occurred I think seeker head pretty well set everything already. Just be careful. I cannot stress that enough. Using hot plastic it will burn you badly. I've already been burned many times because of, not slowing down. You see, when I'm working with plastics. I'm going 90 miles an hour, we will give you more tips and stuff as time goes by when she started into the prices of learning how to work with plastics. It's mostly trial and error. You will learn many different things for yourself it's pretty hard to tell somebody how to exactly work with the material you have to learn that your self and tricks of the trade. I suppose you are going to make these for yourself?

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

im wanting to get the carrot mold and try and make afew

snake River is online now Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 78mudbug View Post
    im wanting to get the carrot mold and try and make afew
    mine will be here this coming week.

www.bobsjigs.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast