Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kansas Walleye

Post Thanks / Like

Question Kansas Walleye

I posted this in Kansas State Forum - but thought I might get more help here...

It's not crappie - but similar

Thinking about breaking in to Walleye fishing and looking for advice.

From the research this morning in the net I learned:

Walleye spawn early - water temp should be around 40 degree.

Walleye are a sluggish fish - preferring to ambush pray from a hidden position

Early spring walleye are more prone to large bait fish / imitation, but leaches, night crawlers are also good options.

River walleye prefer to be near current but hang in the break - edies, dam breaks, rocks, logs, dips in the bottom conture.

Fish should be targeted with a slow down stream / go with the current presentation that keeps contact with bottom.

That is all I know about Walleye...

Any help would be appriciated.

I would assume that South East Kansas Rivers should be hitting spawn temps shortly with March rolling around the corner.

I am looking at

Verdigris River dams - up out of Oolagah lake (Coffeyville, Ks)

Elk River - up out of Elk City Lake (Independence, Ks)

And possibly - Fall River (Neodesha, Fredonia - Ks) (not very famillure with Fall River)

Any advise, pointers, experience would be much appriciated.

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea about KS, but have done a little sauger/walleye fishing in TN.

We generally fish near the deepest holes in the river (45-60ft) several miles downstream from the dam. I usually run to the upstream end of the hole and drift with the current through the hole to the downstream end i.e. about 25 ft down to 50 ft and back up to 25 ft. Sometimes fish will stack up on the inside bank of the river out of the current, and sometimes seem to be near the outside bank in deeper water. If I find fish, I like to mark the spot and concentrate on that location. Sometimes they will be scattered, and other times will be stacked up in one area.

We use .75 to 1.25 oz, depending on amount of current, "sauger jigs" tipped with minnows or artificial trailer. If using articficial, I use scented trailers or bait spray. Sometimes color is key, sometimes not so much.

Presentation is vertical jigging. Use the trolling motor to keep your line vertical over the jig. Drop down to the bottom, reel up the slack, jig up, and let it fall slowly to the bottom while keeping tension on the line. Soon as you feel the slightest tap of the bottom, jig up and repeat a few thousand times! The fish seem to hit as it falls. If you feel any "bump" on the way down set the hook!

I use 20lb braid to keep from losing too many jigs. Buy alot of jigs if you try this method! I lose tons at new spots were I haven't located the big snags the hard way!

There are many other ways to catch them, but this is what I am familiar with. Hope this helps, and good luck!
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"