Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead explosion!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lead explosion!!

Folks I know I should probally post this in the jig/lure making area, but I think it needs to be a WARNING to everybody who pours lead or is around people who do. JungleJim had a near death accident. He was melting some lead he had for several years stored in a dry place. When he put the lead into the pot, it exploded sending 600+ degree lead everywhere. He was fortunate to think quickly and avoid the majority of the flying lead. Lead did burn his eyelids and other parts of his body. Maybe James will share his story here. Please pay extra attention when messing with this hobby. You should bake all your lead you insure there is no moisure. THINK SAFETY!
    NightProwler

Post Thanks / Like

good post,maybe it will keep someone from getting hurt

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post. I keep my lead in an old shed. It will be baked before use. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

wow one luck man for sure, glad he is ok. thanks for telling us.

Post Thanks / Like

Prowler thanks for reposting, JungleJim hope you didn't get it too bad I know how much it hurts. When mine happened back when I was 12 internet wasnt' around and warnings and help werent around.

My blast hit my face and one hot piece in my eye. Didn't lose it but the pain bad!!!!!!!!! Be careful all.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I truly believe God was with me when this happened. I never quite got the copy,paste thing with pictures,so if anyone would like to see the pics send mean email at [email protected] and you can view and post them anywhere you see fit. Everyone,stay safe. I easily could have been blinded.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you came through it Ok. Had a small one happen to me when it was cold and rainy, and attributed the moisture to that. I now never put new ingots in by hand, but with a long pair of channel locks. It got my attention, be safe if you do this stuff.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! Something to remember is even if you store it dry, once it heats up some either by you touching it or sitting next to the pot, water will condense and when you drop water in the pot, bad things happen! Glad you're ok JJJ!

Post Thanks / Like

I borrowed a Lee bottom dropper one time which still had about 3/4 pot of cold and old lead in it. Plugged it in, turned on high for a long time. It didn't look like no melting was goin on so I bent over and looked inside pot, when I raised back up and partially turned .... it exploded. I saw lead shoot up over my head and splash down on work bench. The right side of my Carhartt overhauls was clad in lead. No skin burns, but it coulda been bad if I'd a looked in there just a split second later. Got rid of that chit, cleaned pot and poured 500 jigs thereafter. But I still think bout it. Be careful with that lead and keep the kids/dogs at bay whilst pouring.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-21-2011 at 02:04 AM.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast