Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Eggs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Eggs

Finally got a chance to get on the water last week and managed to put a few fish in the boat spider rigging. When I cleaned them later I found several were full of eggs. This got me wondering about the development of the eggs. I know spawning is triggered by water temp's, but does water temp effect egg development at all. When is the earliest you can expect to find fish with eggs? And finally, do they taste like chicken? lol.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb It's my understanding ....

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad
    Finally got a chance to get on the water last week and managed to put a few fish in the boat spider rigging. When I cleaned them later I found several were full of eggs. This got me wondering about the development of the eggs. I know spawning is triggered by water temp's, but does water temp effect egg development at all. When is the earliest you can expect to find fish with eggs? And finally, do they taste like chicken? lol.
    That Crappie will "start" producing an egg sac in the late Summer/Fall, and it grows over the Winter months (slowly). As the water warms and baitfish get more active (and shallower), Crappie start their prespawn feeding. Once the eggs have developed to the point of being ready to drop ... water temps/conditions dictate "when" & "if". And, no they don't taste like "chicken" :D (at least, none I've ever eaten .... LOL!!) ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Very helpful info crappiepappy I need to get me a thermometer.
    FIN
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-27-2006 at 09:20 AM.