Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do glow jigs actually glow under water

Post Thanks / Like

Default do glow jigs actually glow under water

and if they do then how long do they glow? Are there any adv. of using Glow jigs or i guess do they work better than regular jigs?

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question as to how long. I would think in deep, stained water or overcast/low light conditions that they would be an advantage. I just got a jar of glow powder paint but haven't done much with it yet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Kyle Schoenherr is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes they do glow under water! Take a pack of your glows at home in a dark room and take a look, they will light pretty good. I think the glows make a big difference in deep or stained water!

www.AllSeasonsCrappieFishing.com - 2x National Champion
    B'n'M Pro Staff - Road Runner Pro Staff - Lowrance Pro Staff - Tru Turn Pro Staff
    Harvest Clean Pro Staff - Midsouth Pro Staff - Titelok Pro Staff - Engels Pro Staff
    CrappieNow - Rend Lake Resort - Kinkaid Sportsman Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

In deeper water and at night tend to see 3X the bites on "glo" as not, especially jigs...in most waters walleyes, sauger and saugeyes can see them very well further than you might think possible...

Post Thanks / Like

Humm do you have to kind of charge it with a bright light before it will glow good?

Post Thanks / Like

I use a cheap (but bright) LED flashlight handy for charging them. Works fine

Post Thanks / Like

Sunlight is good enough. As has already been stated, they are supposed to be good in low light conditions and in deep water . I have made a few in different colors and have found some will show up better than others. I have several colors on a rack and all those that were Glow powder painted show up but bright orange seems to show the most and last the longest.

I think it is best to always use a white base coat before adding the 2nd coat of Glow powder paint. You can also reactivate them by shining a bright light on them for a minute or so. There are also some glow plastics on the market as well. Early & late would be a good time to have a couple tied on that you can let sunlight get to them and alternate every 5-10 to make sure they stay bright.

Post Thanks / Like

yes they glo. there is a special led mini flashlight you can buy at bass pro that will super charge these jigs. They stay lit anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes. Depending on how they are charge with light. They are ideal for muddy or stained water, any depth.
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

if you are going to use glow-in-the-dark paint make sure that you use white it will last about 3 to 4 min., depending on how bright the outside is if you want them to really charge up take a flashlight with you in shine directly on them if you got a dark day or in the evening before dark in the morning before dawn.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

skip and ship i believe have done alot of research on this...I know skip has for sure. Maybe they will give some of there input

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast