Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappies in Eastern Oregon

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Crappies in Eastern Oregon

Couple of days ago a friend called to invite me Crappie fishing. Whoa its 22 degrees for a low and 40 for a high are you kidding me? Nope carrpies are biting on the Brownlee Reservoir(anyone know where that's located?)its on the Snake River between Idaho and Oregon in fact its the border.
    We loaded up and left at o-dark thirty and sure enough we came home with 71 slab crappie. Sixteen of the 71 were 12"s the rest 10 and 11. Now that may not sound big to some of you but for this area its outstanding.
    It was a chore figuring out what to start the bite. Turned out it was a chartreuse curly tail and a strip of crappie meat fished at 25' real slooooooooooooooow. At times was extremely hard to detect the bite but we managed.
    Seems the fish were suspended at 25' in 40 feet of water.
    I know most of you are probable thinking SO we fish in cold on a regular basis. We don't in fact its a first for us. You see we never fish till the water temp hits 55 to 60. But we are now cold water believers
    Hoping to get more tactics for cold water from you guys

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a very good day fish'nfool.:p Welcome to the boards...AND starting off with a great 1st post to boot! Youre gonna read and take in sooooo much here on CDC and it wont be long at all until you see what youve been missing all those years waiting for "warm" weather. Now all you got to do is learn to post some pictures of your catches and you'll be well on your way!:D

Again, congrats on your catch.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Middle Tennessee. Good catch guys, but where's the pics? Sounds like a good day.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the pics guess we have never thought much about pictures. Promise to do better. Next trip will take the camera. Wait the next trip is for Steelhead from the Clearwater river in Idaho. Don't know if those pictures are permissible on a crappie web site. ha

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
    Couple of days ago a friend called to invite me Crappie fishing. Whoa its 22 degrees for a low and 40 for a high are you kidding me? Nope carrpies are biting on the Brownlee Reservoir(anyone know where that's located?)its on the Snake River between Idaho and Oregon in fact its the border.
    We loaded up and left at o-dark thirty and sure enough we came home with 71 slab crappie. Sixteen of the 71 were 12"s the rest 10 and 11. Now that may not sound big to some of you but for this area its outstanding.
    It was a chore figuring out what to start the bite. Turned out it was a chartreuse curly tail and a strip of crappie meat fished at 25' real slooooooooooooooow. At times was extremely hard to detect the bite but we managed.
    Seems the fish were suspended at 25' in 40 feet of water.
    I know most of you are probable thinking SO we fish in cold on a regular basis. We don't in fact its a first for us. You see we never fish till the water temp hits 55 to 60. But we are now cold water believers
    Hoping to get more tactics for cold water from you guys
    I know this is an old post but I wanted to make a few comments on Brownlee reservoir you can catch fish the year around I have fished in live there for 15 years some winners the water will freeze over at Hewlett Park they can therefore you can walk out and do some ice fishing not my cup of tea but most the time that you could run out in December January February and all through the year and you will find fish they are probably deep just like you found them I hope that you later over there a few more times since you posted this.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

This was a memorable day on Brownlee
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...zg-sz_wyz6BOaA

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a great trip ......Bob and I chatted about that lake last weekend .....wish I didn't live so far away .....
    one thing for certain ....don't come to texas and use crappie strips .....its not legal here but I have heard it works like a charm .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing regs vary all across the nation. Don't bring minnows to Oregon, not legal but I've heard they catch fish.